Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is there any recourse to contest a determination of damage to a phone returned for warranty service?

sent in phone for warranty repair due to gps sensor not functioning. phone was working perfectly in all other respects. no cracks, or breaks. only normal wear and tear on the phone, (i.e. minor scratches). apparently, the "warehouse guys" determined phone had "physical or water damage." most reputable companies would give a heads up, or options to say hey, this phone won't be covered under warranty. do you want it back, or do an out of warranty replacement. the only notification we got was a $100 charge on our bill. i would not have sent the phone in if i thought there was even a chance that it wouldn't be covered under warranty. not a happy koodo customer today.

37 replies

Userlevel 4
Hmm...that is a tough call. Saying "sorry" won't cut it in my opinion. I highly doubt the people who did the "repairs" would be sticklers for minor scratches. Well, a few things come to mind. You can either go to the store and speak to the manager about the issue to see if there is anything they can do or call Koodo and see if they can either adjust the tab to get a new phone, send you a replacement phone via the Priority Exchange program, or encourage you to get the repair done and waive the fee when it appears on the bill. The latter might be a stretch since it is $100 but what is the harm in asking? Just maintain an positive demeanor and they should have no issues. It all comes down to who you speak to for this. Unfortunately, there is no official appeal process for your situation. The Priority Exchange is where a refurbished phoen is sent to you within 3 - 5 business days by Purolator. You would take the battery, sim card, and SD card out of your original phone and place the rest of it in the mailer. you keep the refurb phone. There is usually a fee of $25 for this but given your situation, I would hope they would waive that fee if you decide to go that route.
thanks tyler - already have the replacement phone, and charge already showed on my bill. i did call, and the rep advised me that the warehouse guys determined damage, but he could not be specific about it. i asked what options i had, and he basically told me i am SOL. 😞
Userlevel 4
Monty Janes wrote:

thanks tyler - already have the replacement phone, and charge already showed on my bill. i did c...

Well I did post other options above if you wish to at least ask about 'em. Won't know until you try, right?
Monty Janes wrote:

thanks tyler - already have the replacement phone, and charge already showed on my bill. i did c...

nearest store is 150 km from me. they won't adjust the tab when i called, and can't upgrade. like i said, he basically told me i'm SOL. sorry, did i miss any other options?
Userlevel 7
Monty Janes wrote:

Well obviously the store can't do anything, so call customer service and explain your case. Their 1st line defense usually says no to stuff like this, and if they do, escalate it! You have a good point here, charging $100 without any warning or notification or even an option is pretty unfair.
Userlevel 4
Monty Janes wrote:

If I was at work and it was allowed, I would pull up your account and help BUT for obvious reason, I cannot lol. Jonathan's suggesstion to escalate is the best bet. The distance to the closest store should play a role in an adjustment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Monty Janes wrote:

I find it totally unpreofesionnal to charge you without even warning you. Therefore, I think most people at Koodo will think the same. By experience, I support Jonathans. They will say no at first, but just "be angry about it" and they will say "wait a second i'm going to check something". Ususally it's a good thing
Userlevel 4
Monty Janes wrote:

Try not to be angry... More can be resolved using manners and not raging lol
Userlevel 6
Monty Janes wrote:

There is notice given. They send you a new phone in package in which you supposed to put your phone and send it back for repair. It does state on the letter that comes with it that if they find physical damage or water damage $100 will be charge to your account. That said I believe you get to keep the phone they sent you. I do agree thought they should state it up front that $100 might be charge not in package one receive since then it's too late to change your mind.
Userlevel 2
Monty Janes wrote:

Uh, guys. The repair costs come from the manufacturer & the manufacturer does the repair review. They make the call. You could call the manufacturer to contest, but Koodo isn't obligated to do anything because it isn't their call.
Userlevel 2
Monty Janes wrote:

And yes, I realize that this a 1 month old thread 😛.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Clarification: did you send it in for repair from a kiosk, or send it in via a return mailer?
i just had this happen to me for both my phones koodo says there is water damage but i know 100% that there was none i wouldnt hve sent it back to them either also inconsideration that my personal phone was my 5th one from koodo in under 6 months .... i lucklytook pictures of the phones from every angle so i had proof of what they looked liked the day i sent them via purlator.i called in and all they said was u have to go to a koodo kios and that was the end of that conversation before i lost my cool. any thoughts on what and where i should go next with this?
Userlevel 4
Jodie Porteous wrote:

i just had this happen to me for both my phones koodo says there is water damage but i know 100% ...

There are strips in the phone that are there to detect water damage. I'm not saying the phone was submerged or anything. It could come from any kind of moisture such as having it in the bathroom while you have a shower, the one drop of rain, any sort of steam close by, etc. There isn't much that can be done since the manufacturer determined there was water damage. Sending it back will get the same result. I'd call Koodo and ask about the Priority Replacement I mentioned above and see if they can waive the fee. You can also ask to see if they can adjust the tab. That adjustment would take into consideration the length of time you have been withe Koodo, any previous tab adjustments or account credits. Keep your cool and They will do what they can. If you are unhappy about the results of that call, ask to speak to a supervisor.
Jodie Porteous wrote:

i just had this happen to me for both my phones koodo says there is water damage but i know 100% ...

there was no proof of water damage id post the pictures if i knew how... ive never taken my phone in the bathroom whilee ive showered or by he sink while washing dishes.
Userlevel 2
Jodie Porteous wrote:

Moisture can happen anywhere, it doesn't necessarily need to be right by water. If it's an extremely humid day and you happen to take the battery out while outside, if there's enough moisture to get on the strip, then that is classified as the phone being exposed to liquid damage. You may believe 100% that there was no liquid damage, but it's ultimately the manufacturer who makes that call. Once they make that determination, there isn't much you can do. You could call them and dispute it with them, but I doubt you'd get anywhere.
Userlevel 6
Jodie Porteous wrote:

That's crazy! We don't live in the age of 'guilty as charged'!! They check the colour changing sticker on the back of the phone. They should be able to provide that to customers upon request.
Userlevel 2
Jodie Porteous wrote:

That would be a request made to the manufacturer then.
Userlevel 6
Jodie Porteous wrote:

Nope. That would be a request to koodo who sends out the phones for repair to authorized repair centers.
Userlevel 5
Jodie Porteous wrote:

Problem is Koodo likely doesn't get the phones back after the priority exchange happens.
i eventually go this resolved in my case. I got through to a supervisor who told me that it appeared there was damage during shipping. he agreed that on both points, since there was no specific damage reported, and since i used their mailer, that i should not be held responsible. the $100 charge was immediately wiped from my bill. yay! a happier customer now.
Userlevel 2
Monty Janes wrote:

i eventually go this resolved in my case. I got through to a supervisor who told me that it appe...

Good to hear 🙂.
WELL CONSIDERING IVE BEEN SUCK INDOORS FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS DUE TO MY ILLNESS I HAVENT NOR MY PHONE, BEEN SUBJECT TO HUMIDITY TO CAUSE CONDENSATION TO CAUSE WATER DAMAGE. AND DONT DOUBT A PERSONS YOU DONT KNOW CUZ I NOW HAVE A AWESOME CREDIT TO MY ACCOUNT DUE TO THE INCONVENIENCE AND ALSO AS I SAID I HAVE PROOF THERE IS NO DAMAGE I TOOK PHOTOS OF THE PHONE AND BATTERY
Userlevel 6
Jodie Porteous wrote:

WELL CONSIDERING IVE BEEN SUCK INDOORS FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS DUE TO MY ILLNESS I HAVENT NOR MY PHO...

Did you take a picture of the colour indicator on the back of your phone Jodie? You have a case then.
Userlevel 2
Jodie Porteous wrote:

WELL CONSIDERING IVE BEEN SUCK INDOORS FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS DUE TO MY ILLNESS I HAVENT NOR MY PHO...

Your shift button is stuck. You may want to get that looked into. Bottom line Jodie, if you want to dispute this, contact the manufacturer. There is literally nothing Koodo can do about it as they do not do the repairs on the phone nor do they make the determination if the phone is damaged or not. We aren't doubting you. We are simply telling you the information that is relevant to your situation. You can have all the "proof" you want. You can take that "proof" up with the manufacturer.