Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is Q5 Unlocked?

Is the blackberry Q5 phone going for $350 unlocked? My brother who lives in Canada wants to buy it for me and bring it to Kenya Africa when he visits? Will it work in Kenya?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No its not sold unlocked, actually no phones are sold from any carrier unlocked except the Google Nexus phones. You can purchase it and have it unlocked by a 3rd party service online such as GSMLIBERTY.COM or CELLUNLOCKER.net. You can buy the phone unlocked from BlackBerry directly and have your brother send it to you as another option. As far as compatibility in Kenya it depends what frequencies your carriers use there?
Badge +4
From what I'm reading it looks like the Q5 should work with all of Kenya's service providers. To play it safe, call your service provider in Kenya and ask if the Q5 will work on their network. Q5 Frequency table.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

From what I'm reading it looks like the Q5 should work with all of Kenya's service providers. To ...

Do you know what model of the Q5 koodo carries Rikkster?
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

From what I'm reading it looks like the Q5 should work with all of Kenya's service providers. To ...

Unfortunately, no I don't. Going by the table, it looks like models 1 and 3 are compatible with Koodo though. Some additional frequency band info from Blackberry's Q5 page. Q5 Network Bands: Quad band LTE (100/50 Mbps) 3, 7, 8, 20 (800/900/1800/2600 MHz) Quad band HSPA/UMTS (DC 42 Mbps) -1, 2, 5/6, 8 (850/900/1900/2100 MHz) Quad band GSM/GPRS/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

OK just wondering for future reference since this questions come up a couple times prior. Great info still. Thanks man.
rikkster wrote:

Thanks to both rikkster and Paul for the answers. I have asked my service provider - AIRTEL and they assured me that BB Q5 should work just fine once unlocked.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

Great to hear Amen, enjoy the Q5 and BlackBerry's awesome new OS.
rikkster wrote:

Will do that and thanks again Paul
Badge +4
rikkster wrote:

You're welcome Amen.
rikkster wrote:

This picture is very tiny and I can't find the frequency of your blackberry Q5