Koodo Community
Question

Is my simcard faulty?

• 18 February 2021
  • 4 replies

I recently took advantage of the Lunar New Year promotion and have just received my sim card. Upon inspection, it looks like the sim card has some sort of smudge on the gold side. I have tried wiping it off, but to no avail. I am thinking since it was mailed to me, it may have been mishandled while being sent, or the cold temperatures may have potentially damaged it.

I have set up and ported over my phone number from a previous provider (Rogers) and I have internet access, but when I was speaking to my girlfriend on the phone, the quality of the call was very poor and low quality. (I am in the GTA so I should definitely be covered). Could a damaged sim card affect call quality? Should I go in store and get a new sim card?

Faulty Sim

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I recently took advantage of the Lunar New Year promotion and have just received my sim card. Upon inspection, it looks like the sim card has some sort of smudge on the gold side. I have tried wiping it off, but to no avail. I am thinking since it was mailed to me, it may have been mishandled while being sent, or the cold temperatures may have potentially damaged it.

I have set up and ported over my phone number from a previous provider (Rogers) and I have internet access, but when I was speaking to my girlfriend on the phone, the quality of the call was very poor and low quality. (I am in the GTA so I should definitely be covered). Could a damaged sim card affect call quality? Should I go in store and get a new sim card?

Which phone are you currently using? 

Which phone are you currently using? 

I am using an iPhone 11. I haven’t had any issues with call quality prior to switching SIM cards

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The sim card contains subscriber id information that allows the phone to connect to the network. Think of it like a security badge that provides access to a secure building. The phone signal does not run through it, not does it have anything to do with transmitting or receiving. If the phone connects to the network and the connection does not drop, the sim card is fine.

Badge +4

To add; try resetting your iPhone’s network settings by going to Settings > General  > Reset.  Tap Reset Network Settings, (you may have to enter a passcode at this point). Follow the prompts and wait for your iPhone to reboot. Test for call quality. 

This procedure resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, along with VPN and APN settings to factory default values. Resetting your phones’ network settings can sometimes resolve network connectivity issues, e.g. call quality.