Koodo Community
Solved

Is Koodo planning on expanding coverage in Manitoba?

Userlevel 3
I know it costs money to expand. I'm hoping Koodo will expand coverage into other areas of Manitoba. Coverage to eastern Manitoba (Beausejour, Elma,Brereton, Big Whiteshell Lake, Falcon, etc), and south towards Carman etc. Any plans in the works? Thanks! 🙂

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well, Koodo piggy backs on the entire Telus and Bell's network, who are always expanding their towers. Also recently Rogers announced a roaming arrangement with other networks to expand their coverage. So there is hope, Shelley 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Canadian Competition Bureau has all the major cell companies signed onto a new extended roaming agreement. The result being, if you had no Koodo/Bell tower available to you previously, you will be automatically piggybacked onto Rogers or another carrier if available, at no extra charge for you. Cell companies should be announcing shortly, with implementation before the summer. So all of the old arguments sales people used to make about quality of coverage should not be a factor in your decision. http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/01/06/canadian-carriers-using-domestic-roaming-agreements-to-fill-in-coverage-gaps/
Userlevel 3
@BobTheElectrician...I was looking for that announcement a few days back and didn't find it on Mobilesyrup...you saved me some time 🙂 The question is...wasn't this supposed to be in effect at the end of January? You'd think it would be a lot more publicity around it since it plugs some significant gaps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No exclusivity and whole sale domestic roaming price caps should be good for customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Read post #6 onwards. Don't know where the official text is. Note that the providers will not be able to beat their chests about their new improved service just by playing piggyback. That's probably why we haven't heard a peep about it. http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=231945
Userlevel 3
Thanks everyone! I plan on staying with Koodo (like the plans, service). I know Virgin Mobile has piggyback service in Manitoba (looked at their map) via Rogers. Hopefully soon for Koodo. 🙂
Userlevel 5
My understanding of things is that Koodo is always looking to improve service in Manitoba. The problem is that sometimes the timeline isn't as fast as people like. But with the changes coming into play hopefully it wont be too long before you start to see more coverage available in Manitoba.
there is now, i used my samsung galaxy note 2 in southern manitoba
Userlevel 3
Rex T wrote:

there is now, i used my samsung galaxy note 2 in southern manitoba

Wow! Thanks! This is wonderful news! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Wow. Your wish came through.:-)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I think Koodo needs to update their coverage maps then
Userlevel 3
Dennis wrote:

Yes I hope the coverage maps are updated soon. I realize this may take time since they have a million things to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

They are specifically NOT allowed to expand their coverage maps to include roaming partners, nor are other carriers. Same thing for advertising that their network has expanded. Kafka Kanadian govt at work here starting with reply #6 http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=231945 The extended coverage is supposed to be for "occasional" use only. You can't have a limited-coverage urban carrier such as Wind and expect that they will pick up the freight for full-time use in northern Quebec just for you to save a few bucks on a plan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

What about Rogers? There was an exclusivity agreement to use MTS towers. Now that that exclusivity is no longer enforceable, shouldnt they need to reduce their network map and call it extended coverage http://www.rogers.com/web/content/network-coverage
Userlevel 5
Dennis wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that you still wont be able to activate a local number if its outside of Koodos normal coverage map. But if I travel to Manitoba, I will have coverage all over. Data speeds wont be as fast as if you were on Koodos HSPA/LTE network, but you will have coverage. My understanding is that its also a hard transfer when your leaving the normal coverage into the "extended" coverage, so youll drop a call when it switched to the extended. And unfortunately it looks like its only going to benefit postpaid customers, its not eligible for prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
More bandwidth is also on the way. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/hey-big-spender-howzabout-sharing-a-little-more-coverage-with-me
Userlevel 3
I'm on prepaid and in the normal coverage area (Winnipeg). So does that mean prepaid users will not be able to use this extended coverage, roaming agreement? Only monthly customers have access?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
shelley wrote:

I'm on prepaid and in the normal coverage area (Winnipeg). So does that mean prepaid users will n...

Someone from Koodo would have to confirm. They are able to recognize your current SIM and then attach new features to it, the same way they do add-ons for the monthly customers. I'm sure Mr. Harper's Minions would not be pleased if you were not included.
Userlevel 5
shelley wrote:

I'm on prepaid and in the normal coverage area (Winnipeg). So does that mean prepaid users will n...

The document I was sent said Not available with prepaid service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
shelley wrote:

Good to know. So far we have lots of second-hand information and anecdotal evidence, but not too much in the way of official pronouncements.
Userlevel 3
Updated news.. I contacted Koodo. This is their reply..."Our coverage in Manitoba for postpaid customers will indeed be greatly improved in a few days (March 13th), serving over 97% of the province’s population. On March 13th, our website will be updated to reflect our new coverage in Manitoba (make sure to select “Manitoba” in the region selection" I'm on prepaid so by the sounds of it I won't be able to use this extended coverage. I wish it was for both monthly and prepaid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
shelley wrote:

Updated news.. I contacted Koodo. This is their reply..."Our coverage in Manitoba for postpaid...

Boo for prepaid. Coverage should always be the same
Userlevel 3
shelley wrote:

Updated news.. I contacted Koodo. This is their reply..."Our coverage in Manitoba for postpaid...

According to the email it sounds like postpaid only. There was no mention about prepaid customers. I agree it should be for prepaid too. I hope they offer it.
Userlevel 3
I have checked the coverage map for the past few days and it doesn't show the extended service in Manitoba. According to Koodo it was suppose to start March 13th. Unless there is a delay or maybe the map hasn't been updated yet.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
From http://digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=231945: What you need to know about extended coverage: [b]Short description Extended coverage allows customers to occasionally access other Canadian carrier networks when traveling outside of their home footprint. Extended coverage has three general conditions: 1. It is for occasional use only. 2. It will not indicate another carrier’s network. 3. It is not to be positioned as a network expansion. [b]Description Similar to Bell’s Extended Coverage in Manitoba, many Canadian carriers will soon announce extended coverage areas across Canada. This extended coverage requires all Canadian carriers to comply with general conditions to ensure existing and future customers receive consistent information. To make sure you understand how all Canadian carriers are obligated to position extended coverage, here are the 3 general conditions you need to know: 1. Extended Coverage is for occasional use only. Customers can only use extended coverage occasionally and the majority of their usage must be within their home network. [i]This means all Canadian carriers will... · Not sell mobility services to customers who will use the majority of their mobile services within an extended coverage area. · Not have mobile numbers available in the extended coverage area · Monitor their customers' usage to ensure occasional use only. · Apply extended coverage usage to Business/Enterprise customers at a user level and will not support M2M units within the extended coverage areas. 2. Extended Coverage will not indicate another carrier’s network. When roaming in an extended coverage area, customers will see EXT Network instead of Bell. This means all Canadian carriers will... · Not identify which carrier is providing their extended coverage. · Not display the carrier’s network name on the customer’s device. 3. Extended Coverage will not be positioned as a network expansion. Customers must understand that extended coverage areas are not the result of a carrier’s network expansion. [i]This means all Canadian carriers will not represent extended coverage in any way that makes it sound or appear as their own network. This included marketing materials and coverage maps Italics added. Long and short: you get extra occasional roaming on other carriers, but your network name will not indicate whose tower you are on, other than an EXT to tell you you are on extended. If you were not able to get a home phone number from Koodo in a certain area, that stays the same, though you may have service on your phone there through roaming. Advertised coverage maps can only be expanded where Telus/Koodo actually puts up a new tower or offer a new direct service, but not when they just piggyback on a local carrier.