Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Is it possible to forward incoming SMS messages

My cell phone is often out of cell range. So, I need a means to forward (redirect) SMS messages to my email address or even to another SMS service. I tried to get an answer from Koodo Support, but they totally missed the critical point so I will repeat and elaborate. Since I am frequently out of cell range, but I do have access to internet, it would be great of my messages were sent to one of these other places - email or online SMS service. Since I am frequently out of cell range, forwarding with WhatsApp, or manually, or any other means is not going to solve the problem. It seems to me the technology must exist becasue unless I'm mistaken, just about every VOIP service provider is offering this service. The problem is I want people to be able to send texts to my cell number, not another number that I have to distribute.

17 replies

While Koodo doesn't have this service, there are apps that can do this. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.intensoft.smstransfer&hl=en
Thanks Marcus, but i have spent several hours scouring google play and have not found one. maybe I'm just not clear what I should be looking for. Perhaps you can name an app that you think would solve the problem. Remember, the phone is out of cell range. How will an android app be able to retrieve my text messages from the Koodo server if it is not on the Cellular network? Does Koodo provide a means for me to do this over an Internet connection?
ion djp wrote:

Thanks Marcus, but i have spent several hours scouring google play and have not found one. maybe ...

I don't know the inner workings of Koodo's network. I simply provided a link to an sms forwarding app. I imagine that the app would recognize messages being sent to the network and then forward them to the destination that is set. Beyond this, as far as I know, you would have to be in cell range to obtain your text messages. I'm not even sure if there's an alternative when you're outside of it.
ion djp wrote:

Thanks Marcus, but i have spent several hours scouring google play and have not found one. maybe ...

Though, it should be about the same as having your phone turned off.
ion djp wrote:

Marcus, Clearly you are not grasping the problem. Any "app" will be running on the phone and only forward the message once it reaches the phone. OP specifically and quite clearly stated that his phone is out of range and can't receive the text so no app on the phone will be able to get the message to forward it. What the OP is looking for is the SMS equivalent of call forwarding. When you set your number to call forward, the forwarding happens at the provider's network, not the phone.
Userlevel 1
Sorry but what you are asking for is technically impossible. While apps can forward SMS messages, auto answer them or do anything else you desire you have to be in range for the app to get the message and you note that your problem is you are out of range often. Fortunately the SMS message are stored for a period of time until you are in range. I guess if you were always out of range in the same place it might be possible to increase your range using a better (fixed and directional) antenna. Perhaps if you just left your phone on and in range of coverage (and on charge) so it could get the SMS message and then forward it as an email this would work for you?
Userlevel 4
Steve wrote:

Sorry but what you are asking for is technically impossible. While apps can forward SMS messages,...

It is technically possible, SMS-FWD is in the standards (like call-FWD). But I'm not aware of any network operator who has actually implemented SMS-FWD.
Userlevel 7
Steve wrote:

Sorry but what you are asking for is technically impossible. While apps can forward SMS messages,...

So again, not possible
Userlevel 1
Steve wrote:

Yeah, even if SMS-FWD was implemented it wouldn't be converting it to an email like he wants, just forwarding to another number still out of coverage range.
Thanks Steve and Marcus. You have confirmed my suspicions. I suppose it will be a feature added in the future. Should be not much different than the protocol to forward voicemail to email (a.k.a. visual voicemail)
Userlevel 4
ion djp wrote:

Thanks Steve and Marcus. You have confirmed my suspicions. I suppose it will be a feature a...

It has been standardized ages ago. But I'm not aware of any network operator who has actually implemented it. I'm not exactly sure why.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Are these ppl you know texting you? If so then just have them add your email address to your contact info in their phone. Then they just have to click to send the text to your email address instead of your phone # during those hours your out of cell range.
Thanks you for your suggestion. It is however my experience that many people (at least the aging technophobes that I deal with) associate the act of texting with a cell number. I was hoping I wouldn't have to re-educate the hundreds of people in my contacts list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
ion djp wrote:

Thanks you for your suggestion. It is however my experience that many people (at least the aging ...

I hear what your saying, I didn't even know anybody could have hundreds of ppl in their contact list. What kind of phone do you have?
What kind of phone do you have?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
MANISH PARMAR wrote:

This thread has been dead for a year. No need to necropost.
MANISH PARMAR wrote:

Fido has this service. It's called extreme text messaging and it's activated from Fidos servers using your web browser. When Fido receives your text message it can forward it to any North American number. I was wondering if Koodo had the same service as well