Koodo Community
Solved

internet options

• 30 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I am moving somewhere with no access to regular internet but the cellphones work. I have heard about using the cell towers to get internet onto your computer or smart tv. Is this something that Koodo offers? How do you do this if it is? Pros and cons?

icon

Best answer by rikkster 31 January 2021, 16:57

I think Sophia is on the right track with satellite services, though satellite internet service tends to be rather costly.

The link below gives an idea as to which broadband services are available in sparsely populated and uninhabited regions of Canada. You’ll have to do a bit of research, as this site does not offer a list of internet service providers. Enter the area you’re interested in and then Google for ISP’s in that area.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/bbmap/hm.html?lang=eng

This cell tower map may be of interest. Enter the area you’re moving to in the search box. If you want results from only one provider, uncheck the boxes from the other providers listed. Koodo is a subsidiary of TELUS, though, as everyone else has mentioned, you will have to sign on with TELUS to take advantage of their internet offerings.

Pros: 

• You don’t have to purchase additional hardware
  • Cost is likely lower than satellite internet or other forms of broadband internet

Cons:

• Battery - your phone will have to remain plugged in when streaming content over a personal hotspot for extended periods of time. This may cause premature battery wear
  • Heat - your phone may overheat when streaming content over a personal hotspot for extended periods of time. This may cause premature battery wear
  • Data - limited, in spite of being called unlimited, is throttled when you reach a specified threshold. In most cases, customers are bound by the providers’ fair usage policy (this includes the Smart Hub)

A dedicated internet hub, if service is available in the area you’re moving to, might be the better solution. The model in the link below from TELUS connects to their LTE network. The Smart Hub allows for much larger data allotments of 250 GB, 500 GB or one terabyte (1000 GB). This should be more than enough data to satisfy your streaming needs. (Double data promo ended December 31, 2020).

Scroll down the page and use the availability tool to determine whether the Smart Hub will work in the area you’re moving to.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/internet/smart-hub

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No, Koodo doesn't offer regular internet or tv plans... You probably need to check Rogers or Telus for that. Or maybe a third party satellite provider?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I am moving somewhere with no access to regular internet but the cellphones work. I have heard about using the cell towers to get internet onto your computer or smart tv. Is this something that Koodo offers? How do you do this if it is? Pros and cons?

This is possible with a data plan for your phone. All you need to do is to set up a personal hotspot on your phone to use on your computer and Smart TV. However, I imagine you will be using a large amount if you are going to use it on those devices. Koodo only offers plans up to 15GB, so it may not be enough for your needs.

I would suggest looking into Rogers, Bell, or Telus. Bell and Telus offer data plans up to 50GB at maximum speeds, while Rogers offers data plans up to 100GB at maximum speeds. You can use unlimited data at reduced speeds beyond the limit.

I think you might be talking about using a personal hotspot on your phone. 

Badge +4

I think Sophia is on the right track with satellite services, though satellite internet service tends to be rather costly.

The link below gives an idea as to which broadband services are available in sparsely populated and uninhabited regions of Canada. You’ll have to do a bit of research, as this site does not offer a list of internet service providers. Enter the area you’re interested in and then Google for ISP’s in that area.

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/sitt/bbmap/hm.html?lang=eng

This cell tower map may be of interest. Enter the area you’re moving to in the search box. If you want results from only one provider, uncheck the boxes from the other providers listed. Koodo is a subsidiary of TELUS, though, as everyone else has mentioned, you will have to sign on with TELUS to take advantage of their internet offerings.

Pros: 

• You don’t have to purchase additional hardware
  • Cost is likely lower than satellite internet or other forms of broadband internet

Cons:

• Battery - your phone will have to remain plugged in when streaming content over a personal hotspot for extended periods of time. This may cause premature battery wear
  • Heat - your phone may overheat when streaming content over a personal hotspot for extended periods of time. This may cause premature battery wear
  • Data - limited, in spite of being called unlimited, is throttled when you reach a specified threshold. In most cases, customers are bound by the providers’ fair usage policy (this includes the Smart Hub)

A dedicated internet hub, if service is available in the area you’re moving to, might be the better solution. The model in the link below from TELUS connects to their LTE network. The Smart Hub allows for much larger data allotments of 250 GB, 500 GB or one terabyte (1000 GB). This should be more than enough data to satisfy your streaming needs. (Double data promo ended December 31, 2020).

Scroll down the page and use the availability tool to determine whether the Smart Hub will work in the area you’re moving to.

https://www.telus.com/en/on/internet/smart-hub