Koodo Community

Community

International voicemail

Hi everyone, Before leaving for vacation this summer I stopped by a Koodo kiosk and asked about the best way to go about checking my voicemail while overseas. I was told to call my cell number using an app such as Skype or other service, press * and enter my password during the voicemail. That I would not be charged, as I was accessing from a different number. Fantastic - and so I purchased Skype credits, called over Wi-Fi and did as recommended. However, my next bill shows international talk charges (my cell number to my cell number). Should I have been charged for this? Thanks!

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you called via skype and not roaming, then you shoyuld not be charged.  Are you sure you used your skype credits?
Dennis wrote:

If you called via skype and not roaming, then you shoyuld not be charged.  Are you sure you ...

Positive. It shows the calls in my Skype history.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If you called via skype and not roaming, then you shoyuld not be charged.  Are you sure you ...

And credits were deducted for those calls?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

my next bill shows international talk charges

Did you get charged for those?
Robert wrote:

Yes. They showed up in that month (August)'s statement. Time stamps on my bill were identical by the minute to those in my Skype log.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

So if you paid for these calls, then there's definitely a problem because you called via Skype. I'd contact Koodo via FB or Twitter in order to solve this out
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Unless you don't have unlimited incoming call, those minutes could be charged because you called the voicemail (someone correct me if I am wrong about voicemail minutes). Those will be billed as incoming calls.

However, as you said, you setup voicemail before traveling and that you are calling from skype. International calling charges shouldn't be applied in your case, I would dispute it with billing department.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Unless you don't have unlimited incoming call, those minutes could be charged because you called ...

If it was a skype call it wouldnt even register for Koodo billing.  It would only be data or wifi.  I suspect that Skype was calling via the regular network
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Unless you don't have unlimited incoming call, those minutes could be charged because you called ...

The charges could be the charge for accessing voicemail in Koodo. She had a skype number (or proper credit to call cellphone) and called Koodo normally like from a cellphone to Koodo voicemail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Accessing voicemail from another line does not cost anything.  I access my voicemail from a landline all the time
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

Well because you have unlimited incoming minutes or unlimited minutes. There were posts saying it is not free https://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/does-voicemail-use-up-my-booster-minutes . And previously I asked if koodo changed policy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

If you used your phone (koodo line) to call (using talk time) your voicemail on your cell phone will use talk minutes.  Using a non-Koodo line (landline, skype, etc) to call your voicemail will not use any talk time and will not register on your call history, since you are using another service to call
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

uhm, alright, thanks for letting me know, then she should dispute with Koodo billing department.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dinh wrote:

I refer to my first comment to your reply

If it was a skype call it wouldnt even register for Koodo billing.  It would only be data or wifi.  I suspect that Skype was calling via the regular network