Koodo Community

Community

Solved

International Phone Compatibility

Will a international unlocked phone with 2G Network GSM 900 / 1800 & 3G Network HSDPA 2100 work with Koodo ? When I ran an IMEI test, it said the phone is compatible. Unfortunately the internet gives me a different response, I wanted to be certain before I ordered the device. In case you are wondering, the device is Micromax Canvas a116HD - Android powered Thx

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Voice service with koodo doesn't run on any of these frequency bands. The phone won't work.
Hi Tim, thanks for your reply. What I can't understand is that the Koodo website says that the phone is compatible when I ran the IMEI test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The site might have been in error. Or maybe your phone runs on additional bands that you were not aware of? Koodo uses HSPA+ 850/1900 LTE Band IV 1700/2100
Thx Dennis, I went to the koodo site and checked again, it say's the phone is compatible. I checked the spec sheet for the phone once again on GSM arena and the manufacturer website and the only bands mentioned are the ones above.. Its a bit frustrating to know what's true as your reply is accurate on the frequency yet the koodo website acknowledges the phone IMEI and also display the manufacturer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sid Sethi wrote:

Thx Dennis, I went to the koodo site and checked again, it say's the phone is compatible. I check...

If you have the phone then I would bring it to Koodo to double check with a Koodo sim card. If you don't have he phone I would err on the side of caution and not risk buying a phone that won't work
Only way to know for sure is to try it out and hope for the best. There are no gaurantees with non-Koodo phones
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Only way to know for sure is to try it out and hope for the best. There are no gaurantees with no...

Why not give the answer: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/the_big_three_canadian_network_frequencies
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Only way to know for sure is to try it out and hope for the best. There are no gaurantees with no...

Thanks guys... I guess I need to weigh it out before I shell out some dollars. I just wish the phone was a quad band. I guess the budget phones always come with some limitations.. Lol
Marcus Fenix wrote:

No problem, and need Mirror pic
Hey Sid....were you able to use Micromax on Koodo? I am in the same boat evaluating whether Micromax Gold would work on Koodo frequency or not. Let me know if you were successful or not.
Hi MSB3003, unfortunately the phone did not work with Koodo in my case, I switched over to Fido and only the voice functions worked. Luckily I sold the phone to my sister and she uses it in the UK. I would have a backup plan if I were to purchase the Micromax phone or any other international manufacturer out of the Canadian market.