Koodo Community
Question

International long distance rates

• 13 January 2014
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
First, thanks to Koodo for having some decent international long distance rates with LD Saver. Unfortunately, this doesn't really work for me as most of my international calls are to Bosnia ($1/minute, regardless of LD Saver add-on). I assume that this is due to the crooks at BH Telecom, HT-ERONET, and M:Tel? Rates to Serbia and Croatia are $0.10/minute, for example. I'm not complaining about Koodo's rate, but I'm just curious about why it's so expensive. I do have another question that should be a lot easier to answer. Are the rates specified on the website (http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/long-distance) valid for calling mobile numbers in those countries? Typically, it's a lot more expensive to call mobile numbers in Europe, which is why I'm asking. If this is true, then my wife can call her relatives in Switzerland and Italy on their mobiles for $0.05/minute and I'll be putting that add-on on her phone line immediately!

8 replies

Userlevel 2
If you're asking if she can call those countries while she is in those countries, no, the LDSaver rates do not apply. You're looking at a minimum of between $1.50/minute - $2.50/minute. The LDSaver rates only apply when the call originates from Canada.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you're asking if she can call those countries while she is in those countries, no, the LDSaver...No, I'm not asking that (I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion). It's about calls originating from Canada. Every service provider I've come across has separate landline and mobile prices for Europe so I'm seeking clarification.
Userlevel 2
If you're asking if she can call those countries while she is in those countries, no, the LDSaver..."Are the rates specified on the website (http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-...) valid for calling mobile numbers in those countries? Typically, it's a lot more expensive to call mobile numbers in Europe, which is why I'm asking." That is how I came to that. It sounded like you were asking about making calls while in those countries. There is no separate rates for calling landline/mobile phones to international countries from Canada. The rates that you see listed are from calling on a Koodo mobile phone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's funny, if you are only calling Bosnia, the LD-Saver rate and PPU rates are exactly the same. Makes it kind of pointless to get the LD-Saver in that case
Userlevel 3
It's funny, if you are only calling Bosnia, the LD-Saver rate and PPU rates are exactly the same....Same is to be said for Cuba. Hmmmm maybe I should add the LD "saver" for this. lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It's funny, if you are only calling Bosnia, the LD-Saver rate and PPU rates are exactly the same....I know that, hehe. But that section has to be there to let people know that there is no saving for those countries.
Userlevel 6
Hi Ivan, we can't really say regarding the rates for international calls but it's indeed mostly due to agreements with providers. However, you can call both land lines and cell phones for the same rate 🙂 ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thank you all for the clarification. This is fantastic news as it basically makes it possible for my wife to call her relatives that only have mobile #s in Switzerland/Italy. It's way too expensive to call mobiles in Europe just to chat (and older relatives aren't always up to speed with VoIP lol).