Koodo Community

Community

Increase service/coverage area

I live just outside Edmonton. My phone has dropped service more times than I can count. VERY frustrating! I have 4G/LTE and far too often I see "NO Service". For $70 a month I think t deserve better coverage than this.

20 replies

Userlevel 2
You'll just have to wait until there's increased coverage. It takes time & money to expand a service area.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

You'll just have to wait until there's increased coverage. It takes time & money to expand a serv...

$150,000 per tower on average.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Myke wrote:

You'll just have to wait until there's increased coverage. It takes time & money to expand a serv...

I thought that the incumbents' primary defense when justifying our high wireless costs is due to our "unique geography". Here's a case of clearly inadequate coverage. If I'm paying $70 a month and have Terri's coverage issues, waiting (while continuing to pay for substandard service) isn't the response I'd be looking for. Terri, rather than posting this as an idea here, I'd advise you to call customer service and speak to someone about your issues. It takes people calling in for Koodo to really take notice of such issues. You still may be out of luck, but at least you'll have done all you can.
Myke wrote:

I think I shall do that, but I'm not holding my breath that they can do anything. It's just really frustrating. Makes me kind of wish I hadn't gone with Kodoo 😞
Userlevel 6
Myke wrote:

Agreed with Ivan. And as a second note Terri, please know that Bell and Telus share their HSPA networks all across Canada. This is the same network that also powers Koodo and Virgin. So in reality, if you had signed with any of these 4 providers, you would get the same coverage issues. Rogers (and Fido), Wind and Mobilicity all use different networks, but that doesn't guarantee coverage. But I'm with you though, living just outside of Edmonton is well within "populated" areas and should have decent coverage.
Userlevel 7
EDIT: Oops, nvm. I was looking at Saskatchewan and got it mixed up with Koodo
Userlevel 4
What you pay has no bearing on coverage. Tower location does.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

And towers are erected by Telus using money that primarily comes from subscribers' fees.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

I was referring to the smaller picture of "For $70 a month I think t deserve better coverage than this." I totally agree with the big picture financial aspect of what you said, Ivan.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Terri. Where are you trying to call from. I haven't had any issue going from Spruce Grove to Lloyd and from Calgary to Gibbons. The coverage map is pretty complete for coverage too. http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/coverage-maps
Dennis, I live right in Spruce Grove. It is CONSTANTLY dropping our signal. I can see when I'm out near Alberta Beach, or out further, but come on. Right in Spruce?!?! IDK, I just expect a little better than this 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Terri Hehn Cassidy wrote:

Dennis, I live right in Spruce Grove. It is CONSTANTLY dropping our signal. I can see when I'm ou...

I would expect better too. Based on the coverage map you should get HSPA reception for sure. LTE is spotty even in parts of Edmonton. Give Paul's suggestion a try below. Are you having reception issues indoors and outdoors? Some times large concrete building cause issues. I always have trouble inside IKEA
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
What kind of phone do you have and have you tried to turn LTE off and go 3g, if your set to 4g LTE and there's not adequate coverage in your area then for sure it's not going to work and your using alot more battery trying to connect to a weak LTE signal.
Userlevel 5
Ive been out in Spruce Grove many times and never had any problems with coverage. Usually the only time I may drop a call is if Im driving through a valley or something.
Paul, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE. I have taken your suggestion and went to GSM/HSPA (auto connect). My only other choices are: GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect); GSM only and HSPA only. Will see what happens
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Paul, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE. I have taken your suggestion and went to GSM/HSPA (auto co...

I'd set it on HSPA only. Koodo doesn't use a 2G GSM network and LTE isn't as widely available as HSPA.

Paul, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII LTE. I have taken your suggestion and went to GSM/HSPA (auto co...

Ivan, I just set it to HSPA only, as you suggested. I did find, however, that by changing it to GSM/HSPA that the drop rate went way down. Yay! It only dropped once. So, I think the problem has (hopefully) been fixed. I shall keep an eye on it. Hopefully it will help the battery issue too. Boy does it burn through the battery. My phone won't last one day on a charge, and I use it very little. Thank you Paul and Ivan!! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Glad to hear it worked for you Terri, if you have any more questions feel free to ask & if you have a chance star the answer that helped your issue so others with the same issue will be able to easily find a solution. Have a wonderful day
Terri i adviced you to call in to tech support and have them check your account, you might need to have your network reset onit. If you're getting constant dropped calls and sometimes no service that would be the issue, you need an update on the signal your're receiving.
Jonathan, I will do this. I have found that by setting my phone to HSPA, I have had far less issues. But an update on the signal could very well be needed. Thank you everyone for your input. I has helped a great deal!