Koodo Community

Community

Improved Network Coverage

I'm getting extremely frustrated with the lack of coverage in area's that your "Maps" say that there should be coverage. I appreciate that companies are trying to get everything to LTE, but actually having reception would be a better deal for everyone involved. I have done so much research on this topic and your best solution is for me to get a cell phone booster so that I can have reception. How about solving every customers problem in this area by improving the closest tower or putting up a new tower. Now this would be customer service.

23 replies

Userlevel 5
Hey LesB, where can you not get coverage?
Userlevel 1
Sumaya K. wrote:

in which area - can you specify any given Postal code in that area?
Sumaya K. wrote:

West Cove, Alberta is where I'm located
Sumaya K. wrote:

Postal codes do not work for situations like this as they cover an area about the size of most tower coverage ranges.
Userlevel 4
Sumaya K. wrote:

Based on a coverage map agents have access to, it shows that area has good to great coverage. If you were to travel outside of West Cove, does service improve at all? If not, there could be an issue with your phone.
Sumaya K. wrote:

Yes my signal and reception improves when I go down to the lake or head out of the area, so the phone isn't the problem as this has been an issue with 3 different phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
what kind if phone do you have? If it's an Android device go into your settings, then click more settings then click mobile networks then click network operators and let it search for towers. it will eventually stop searching and give you a list of network operators and you should select koodo. Your reception should now be much better, my Galaxy S4 went from 1 bar to almost full bars. Whenever your in a place that your getting terrible reception try this it should help drastically.
Yes my signal and reception improves when I go down to the lake or head out of the area, so the phone isn't the problem as this has been an issue with 3 different phones. I also have gone through the whole process of searching carriers, dropping down to 3g or 2g, refreshing the network from their end, pulling the battery, and all other tricks in everyone's book. Like I have said when talking to the technical people I am in an area of spotty coverage and only putting up a new tower closer to me or buying a cell phone booster for the house will help my reception. So back to my initial post, either fix the maps to be more representative of actual coverage or improve the network to match the current maps. On average I'm running -105 to -113 dBm and 0 to 1 asu when I get coverage.
Userlevel 4
LesB wrote:

Yes my signal and reception improves when I go down to the lake or head out of the area, so the p...

With all you said, I wonder if putting in a network ticket would do anything. Like I said before, looking at the coverage map, I saw no deadzones in your area. With you mentioning it does improve in other areas, I do agree it is not your phone. Usually in that case, I do a network ticket. Those can take 1 - 3 business days to complete. Has that ever been offered to do for you? (The map I have access to at work is different from the one on the Koodo site)
LesB wrote:

Yes my signal and reception improves when I go down to the lake or head out of the area, so the p...

can i have a network ticket for riviere-beaudette,quebec cause i have the same problem
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
LesB wrote:

You'll have to call in to tech support
LesB wrote:

I have had a ticket issued and that is where my comments about getting a booster or a tower being built closer to me are the only real options. I just wish the maps would be more realistic in their coverage so people don't have to go through the hassles I have.
Best option is to try a CDMA cellphone..... CDMA has more coverage.......
Userlevel 1
Mr KAM wrote:

If he can find CDMA handset device, Koodo is still selling BB Curve 8530 and Samsung U430 on their web site
Mr KAM wrote:

Why should I have to downgrade when cell phone providers say I should have good coverage where I am?
So I need to downgrade my phone in order to get good reception that I can pick-up 800 yards away and the coverage map says i should be covered? I use my phone for internet as well.
Userlevel 3
LesB wrote:

So I need to downgrade my phone in order to get good reception that I can pick-up 800 yards away ...

Well the coverage map is a rough guide as lots of things can impact the signal I for example live at the bottom of a hill and constantly sit at one bar sometimes none and I live in a City that generally has perfect coverage in 90+% of the area. If I walk for a minute I get full service.
LesB wrote:

So I need to downgrade my phone in order to get good reception that I can pick-up 800 yards away ...

So if the coverage is spotty make the map reflect that when you zoom in. The cell phone companies know iffy areas so represent that on the maps. This is all I am asking. I should be able to decide on a carrier by looking at an accurate map instead of signing up with them and finding out I have no or spotty coverage at home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
LesB wrote:

That's IMO asking a little much of a company to pinpoint every area when an area of spotty coverage can be down to a couple feet. No company can do this it's impossible. You by a phone try it in your area and if it happens that your 1 in a hundred thousand ppl that happens to be in a spot like this you bring the phone back and either try Rogers or go without a cellphone that's pretty much the options since Bell coverage is the same since they use the same towers. It sucks that your in an area like this but it's not financially feasible to put up another tower to accommodate a few potential customers that are in a mile of area that can't get reception due to land or building restrictions.
LesB wrote:

I'm not talking a coulpe square feet. What makes me most frustrated about the whole thing is the person selling contracts has the same general map I can pull up, but when you get signed up and have issues the tech's that work on your ticket can tell you immediately wether or notan area has spotty coverage. I do know that buildings and trees affect coverage. I also know that the highter up you go with the network, the smaller the coverage area is for the tower. (4G has a smaller effective range than 2G). So I think that if the tech's have all the coverage info why don't the sales people
I Live along the Ottawa river, in Petawawa Ontario where my reception with a Samsung Evergreen is so poor I have had to go back to relying on a land line. The coverage map shows I should have a couple bars on my phone but most days it is just a paper weight. I think my best option for now would be to cancel my cell service and wait until the coverage in the area is improved.
Why not just get a new phone? The Samsung Evergreen is an older phone(an not really that great of a phone to begin with). Have you tried calling Koodo's Tech Support and having them investigate the issue?
Marcus Fenix wrote:

Why not just get a new phone? The Samsung Evergreen is an older phone(an not really that great of...

A new phone would not solve the problem as my neighbours have issues with their phones as well. The evergreen is actually a very good phone when it works and is perfect for me as I don't want a smart phone.