Koodo Community

Community

Solved

I want to stay with Koodo

So, I'm interested in buying the new Sony Xperia Z2. Now, since I'm more than satisfied with Koodo's services, I'd like to stay with you. Unfortunately, you guys don't offer the phone and I'm new to the whole unlocked phone thing.. Can I buy this phone unlocked from Sony and start using it with Koodo immediately?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

I don't think Sony sells an unlocked version, but I would confirm. If it locked that they sell, d...

A SIM adapter has wrecked one phone I had, so I'd also suggest just getting a new SIM.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

I don't think Sony sells an unlocked version, but I would confirm. If it locked that they sell, d...

The Z2 uses a Micro-SIM & the iPhone 5 uses a Nano-SIM so you'd need to either get a Micro-SIM or a SIM adapter. Personally, I'd recommend getting a Micro-SIM. I've had problems with SIM adapters. Then, with the Micro, what you could do is ask at your local Koodo shop if they have a SIM cutter & have them cut a Nano out of the new Micro . With that, you'll be able to use the outer shell of the Micro when when you want to switch between the 2 devices. That's what I did so I can go from standard-to-micro-to-nano with the same SIM just adding the required outer shell needed for the device I'm using.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

As long as the SIM required buy the Sony is the same size as the one for your iphone then yes. I doubt an adapter would work.
Chris Petersens wrote:

as far as I was aware, the Canadian website only sold the unlocked version, but it's also nice to know that Koodo has the ability to unlock a phone should I ever need to.. Also, a small side note, I currently have an iPhone 5 (you now can see why I want to change), am I able to just use an adapter to go from my current SIM chip to the new phone without buying a new chip?
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

Well, lucky for James they do sell it unlocked. 🙂 http://store.sony.ca/xperia-z2-zid31-Z2GENERIC//cat-31-catid-Android-Smartphone And if he isn't after the latest model you can pick an Experia for almost a third of the price here: http://www.expansys.ca/sony-xperia-sp-lte-c5303-unlocked-black-248651/
Userlevel 5
Chris Petersens wrote:

To my knowledge this policy is for new customers only, not existing ones. You would still have to get it unlocked from the original carrier it's locked to if you are already with Koodo (as James seems to be).
Userlevel 6
I don't think Sony sells an unlocked version, but I would confirm. If it locked that they sell, don't depair because now koodo unlock other priders phones' as well. Only $35 and they look after everything. Any main mall would usually have a Sony store and a koodo one, so it's conveniet.