Koodo Community

Community

I'd like to see more HTC phone comming to koodo

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Like what? The Droid DNA & One X+ are out of Koodo's typical price range. Their WP8 phones are nice but also a bit pricey & more "niche" for now. I'd say if any they might get the One S early next year.
I wouldn't mind seeing an actual W8 phone here on Koodo. Not saying I'd buy it, but I'd like to point at it and say "I could totally own that if I wanted to"
Userlevel 6
Well, Koodo probably does not want too many people saying that they're not buying a phone, but could if they wanted to. They're in this business to sell phones and service, and ultimately to make money. Their decision to bring a phone to their lineup will be motivated solely by the number of units they can sell at the highest price THEIR customers will pay. We all know a majority of Koodo's customers are here for the (usually) great value of the plans, not the phones. I was reading the comments on the S3 launch on Facebook and many people commented about the hefty price. Before the release, many were saying: "Please Koodo, bring us the S3, we'll pay the unsubsidized price minus the tab" and now all we're hearing is "omg are you out of your mind" and "I might as well get a contract at this price". Koodo openly mentioned they brought the S3 in because of customer feedback on the help forum and Facebook, and I tend to believe that. The company that has no shame carrying the LG Optimus L3 would never think about selling the Galaxy S3, much less in the same time period. The customers aked for it, and they got it! But then they saw the price... My guess is, we won't see another higher end smartphone on Koodo's lineup if they don't sell a reasonable amount of S3's. The One S is still quite a capable device, so maybe we'll get it if the S3 sells. If not, you can cross the One S off your list, and any other subsequent high end device in the future. Of course, I just sincerely hope I'm wrong and that the S3 is seeing healthy sales, in turn opening the door for us to get other top-of-the-line devices in the future!
Some random Mobile Master wrote:

Well, Koodo probably does not want too many people saying that they're not buying a phone, but co...

I think Koodo should offer the same deal as the iPhones. I think the s3 is a true competitor to the iPhone and should be treated as such. I know quite a few iPhone users that have made the switch to the s3
Userlevel 6

Well, Koodo probably does not want too many people saying that they're not buying a phone, but co...

Koodo openly does not recommend people getting iPhones on contract though. They do offer them (contracts) only because Apple makes it mandatory. I can't see Koodo changing its mind about this. Remember: Koodo's salespitch is "No contract cell service!" with iPhone being the sole exception.

I had no idea apple makes it mandatory. Why do they do that? Just to make sure more people get their hands on one?
Userlevel 6

It was mentioned in this thread by well established members of this forum: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/have_better_plans_for_iphone_customers_on_contracts It appears that Apple require its carriers (in Canada at least) to offer 3-yr contracts. They are free to offer other options, but they NEED to offer contracts. My take on this is that people will always look out to pay the least amount for the device, even if it means a shitty plan. Apple is gambling on this, and by being tied for 3 years, it gives its users more time to grow familiar with the Apple way of doing things and to buy iTunes stuff. This ensures that when the contract eventually ends, they have bought so much stuff from the iTunes store that they won't defer to Android or WP8. The sad part is... Users that signed away for an iPhone 3 years ago have just finished paying for their 3GS this year! I know I would not want an iPhone 3GS just about now...
Userlevel 6

This is a good read too, and confirms the "evil" at work here: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-5-2/canada-apple-stores-will-not-sell-unlocked-iphone-5-on-launch-day/ “Due to Apple’s renewed focus on in-store iPhone contracts, unlocked iPhones will be unavailable at launch at Canada Apple Stores” So, there you go. See Apple for what it really is.

Hey I always knew apple was evil. Never looked Macs, and never even thought of owning an iPhone, or iAnything for that matter.
Userlevel 6

We see eye to eye on this one! I used to have an iPod Touch, an iPad and an iPhone. Felt limited, but nothing a jailbreak would not cure. I was playing the cat and mouse game, updating iOS and then waiting for a jailbreak to become available. Then I bought an unlocked HTC Desire in 2010... kijiji took care of selling duties for my Apple products. And I never looked back since. I bought a Lumia610 for fun this year, to see what WP7 was about. I use it from time to time, but I primarily use my Android devices all the time. So far I have had: Phones: - HTC Desire .gifted to the g/f) - LG Optimus One .gifted to a friend) - Nexus S (my "bring to work" phone, because I won't cry if I drop it) - Galaxy Nexus (now a bedside Reddit reader) - Galaxy S II X (current, with 64GB SD card) Tablets: - Motorola XOOM (semi-retired) - Acer Iconia A100 (sold) - Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (poor ROM support, sold) - Nexus 7 16GB (bought because it was cheap and powerful!) - Nexus 7 32GB (because hey...you know...32GB) I contemplated the S3, but I bought a house and prorities straightened themselves...
Personally, I see HTC going the way of the INQ phone that Koodo had a couple of years ago. Both INQ 3G Chat and INQ Cloud Touch were TERRIBLE phones. A lot of customers have had issues with the HTC One V. I don't think Koodo will be going back to HTC after the One V has run it's course. This is how I see the phone line up going: Iphone Samsung LG Nokia RIM