Koodo Community
Solved

How to restrict roaming while not shutting off your data when travelling between the US and CAN

• 10 May 2019
  • 7 replies

I current work on a vessel in the pacific and often use data when I have service, However, my close proximity to the US means that every now and then it goes through a US network without my knowledge.
Is there a way to leave my data on so that i can see and use it when im in koodo service range while not using data when I am no longer in range and instead piggyback through a US network?
icon

Best answer by Dennis 10 May 2019, 23:37

You can turn data roaming off So data won't roam but you can still receive texts and calls if you are international. And if you are on a Canadian network it will use data like normal
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If data is on then data will be used when a connection is made.
Could you not turn data off and just look and how many signal bars you have?
Thats true, however I want to utilize my data without accidentally going through a US network. I received an alert that i had done as such only a couple of days ago. I was completely unaware that I was roaming at the time and wish to prevent a re-occurrence of that.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can turn data roaming off So data won't roam but you can still receive texts and calls if you are international. And if you are on a Canadian network it will use data like normal
Where am I able to select that? Online with koodo selfserve or on my own phone? I couldnt seem to find that option
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Where am I able to select that? Online with koodo selfserve or on my own phone? I couldnt seem to find that option

On your phone.

Go to Settings>Connections>Mobile Networks
Or something similar. It could be under Settings Data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The only phones I've ever seen where data roaming was enabled by default were Blackberry devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If you want to disable all chargeable roaming: on your handset, look up providers In network preferences and deselect automatic. Do a manual search and choose Koodo as your sole provider.

You should now have service only when connected to a domestic Koodo tower. If Koodo does not show up in the options after your handset has done a scan, you can also choose Bell since they share infrastructure.