Koodo Community
Question

How to fix phone, when it show "No Service"?!

• 28 June 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello, I have a iPhone 4S, and I've been with Koodo since 2-3years ago. My current phone plan is the basic $25 per month plan, and have been like this since my official sign up with Koodo, meaning I never changed my phone plan. Today = June 27th, 2019, I went to Oshawa Centre Kiosk to addressed my phone issue. I told them that my phone been showing "No Service" since 2-3 days ago. I could not sent nor received texts/messages. I did not cause any physical damages to the phone. It simply just suddenly become "No Service". We tried restarting the phone, checking the settings, and inserting new SIM card...Nothing worked. I even went to FoneLab in person, as recommended by Koodo employee, to have it checked. It appears that the SIM card has no issue. I also addressed to Koodo employee, that last month when I paid my bill, I noticed I did not received my regular confirmation email after paid. However, both my bank account and Koodo Self-Serve account confirms I already paid my bill and that the balance is $0. At the Kiosk, we even dialed Koodo's customer service to confirm, and indeed the balance is $0.

Now my question is, could it be an issue with my Koodo account for this problem to be happening?!

I been on this basic $25 per month plan forever without a data plan, and has no issue sending and receiving regular texts/messages even without Wifi, and now suddenly after so many years, my phone is now saying "No Service", and in fact, forces me to "enable 3G" for it to work, forcing to charge me extra fee?! I need explanation and solution to this issue! This is the 2nd time that I have billing-related issue causing "no service" with Koodo. First time was even worse and scary, because it took 2 months for Koodo and my bank to find out where the money I paid went to. Ended up, it wasn't my bank's fault but rather Koodo's. The only reason I am still staying with Koodo is because of the affordable and reasonable plan offer, but I do genuinely suggest and advice Koodo to upgrade their billing system and customer services! There is no insurance for users to contact when problems occur. Kiosk employees vs customer services just throw responsibilities back and forth... their is no quality services when services conduct no efficiency. 2019 ain't old school no more, no reason not to upgrade the billing and customer services, and I know for a fact, I am not the only one complaining about this!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi,
You mentioned you asked Koodo people at a Kiosk and the SIM was working. If so, then Koodo account and SIM wasn't a problem. Have you tried to put your SIM card into another phone? was it working?

Regarding the service, Koodo was a cellular provider, they provide support for the cellular service and phone (if you bought phone from them and your phone was under warranty). From your description, you had support from them for the cellular service.

You mentioned your phone was in good condition, but I think it could be the cause of the issue. I would suggest you test the SIM card into another phone or you can try another SIM from someone else in your iphone and see if the SIM or the phone work.
Hi Dinh,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, we did also test the new SIM card into another phone at FoneLab, the SIM card wasn't the issue. However, we also tried it with another SIM card (not mine) into my phone, and my phone also showed no issue. Therefore, I am not really understanding what exactly is the cause of this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
So the phone stopped working out of a sudden with your Koodo SIM card, but works with other SIM cards. That's very weird. Your Koodo SIM card is not to blame. Are you automatically choosing networks?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi Dinh,
Thank you for the reply.
Yes, we did also test the new SIM card into another phone at FoneLab, the SIM card wasn't the issue. However, we also tried it with another SIM card (not mine) into my phone, and my phone also showed no issue. Therefore, I am not really understanding what exactly is the cause of this issue.

When they tested your SIM, did they test to make a call? and send text?

You could try to test out several solutions here about "no service" issue https://www.payetteforward.com/my-iphone-says-no-service-heres-the-real-fix/

If those don't work, you might want to backup your phone and restore its to its default settings and see if that helps.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Hi @Anne Peng

Koodo only uses 3G and LTE networks. It does not have a 2G network.
3G needs to be enabled, and Data turned off (since you have no data).

If 3G is off, there is no way for the phone to work . The phone has always required 3G to be on in order to work. If 3G is on, it works, just like you said.
Hello Dennis,

I was playing around and experimenting with my phone settings earlier today, and indeed, I solved the problem myself.

Apparently it works when "Cellular Data" is OFF, and under "Cellular Data Usage", have to turn on "Enable 3G".
This option was not working for me yesterday, and for some strange reason, it works today.
Also, under "Cellular Data Usage", both "Current Period" and "Current Period Roaming" appear "0 Bytes", so it is ensured I will not be paid extra, as I do not have data plan. No "3G" is shown on the top left corner. If the physical wording "3G" appears on top left corner, you are charged extra fee for using data". ( yes I know, all these technical terms are all so confusing!)

Though my problem is now solved, I would still like to know what caused the initial problem, in case it happens again, as I have no clue how long this solution will last.

What I find rather "interesting" is that none of Koodo kiosk employees, nor foneLab employees solved this issue, and yet someone like me who is non-tech-savvy person, figured it out on own. ( People laugh at me regarding having iPhone just for calls and texts). I felt upset that I wasted so much time, only to receive inefficiency of customer service. The lady who served me that day was talking non-work related topic to her female colleague while serving me, giggling and all, and I felt like I wasn't taken seriously nor appreciated. If she had the right attitude, willing to work above and beyond to solve my phone issue, I would have not complained about the customer service received that day. And for someone like me who is so old-school and non-tech-savvy to be able to solve phone issue by own, with just some simple swipes, then you know someone is slacking at their job. Just imagine them serving like this to seniors. They could be scamming them saying "oh, sorry, look like you need a new phone"... is this the standard of quality service, Koodo?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm certain that regardless of what's in the top corner, the 3G toggle in your settings must be enabled for your phone to work, due to the reasons I stated above glad you were able to experiment your way.

Trouble shooting is a difficult process especially when there is so much information that you provided. People need to sift through all that and decide what is important info and what is not. Sometimes latch onto the wrong pieces of info and it leads you down the wrong path. Also your phone is a much older phone so others may not have had any experiences with it. I had a 4S so I know what the likely issue was when you mentioned the 3G