Koodo Community

how do i port my number to another carrier, unlock my phone, and how much notice do i need to give koodo

• 26 August 2020
  • 15 replies

I basically ran out of patience with koodo. No one from koodo is proving to me why I should stay. I spoke to retention and they just kept quoting me plans off your website.  After 11 years to be treated like this. I guess the saying is f u pay me. Well koodo prove to me why I should keep paying you and why I should keep letting you f*** me

If you cant answer my questions. How do I port my number to another carrier. Hows my final bill going to look. How do I unlock my phone. 

This topic has been closed for comments

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What are your questions? We'd be glad to help you here as best as we can. What was it that you couldn't get resolved? Or are you ranting and just want to leave?

If you bought your phone after December 2017 it's already unlocked. You port over by contacting the carrier you want to switch to.

I was inquiring about a better plan and it wasnt offered. That's disappointing. What I'm angry about is I found out koodo has my sin number and theres no reason koodo needs my sin number. That I will be addressing to the crtc or my member of parliament or both. If koodos not going to do anything and no ones going to call me back. I just need my number ported over to another carrier in 2 weeks when my new sim card arrives and my phone unlocked and to square away my final bill and not keep getting billed because of some stupid fine print ..

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can port to another carrier whenever you want. You can test to see if your phone is unlocked by putting another carrier’s sim in it, but like Goran said, if it was after 2017 then it should be unlocked already.

Once you port, that will trigger your cancellation.  No notice is needed.  usually there will be your bill for your current billing cycle plus 1 additional bill which you can access via your self serve.

If koodo has your sin, they likely got it from you when you signed up or via your credit check.  A common practice.  But you are free to contact the CRTC or MP.

Do you know why there is an additional bill Dennis? Or is it because cell providers can get away with it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Is this the +5gb plans you asked about? Youre in for quite the surprise if you expect to just get old or rention plans automatically with any other carrier. You said you've been with Koodo for 11 years so you could be forgiven for forgetting how carriers in general can be.

Can yoy be more specific with what plan you're referencing?

It's not an additional bill just because. You end up getting it prorated to the day you ported out and you'll continue to have access to self-serve for 90 days to view and pay it.

Yes I forgot carriers are assholes and criminals. Thanks for reminding me Goran. Do you mind reminding me what happens if I put my hand on a hot stove. Will my hand burn ? I haven't put my hand on a hot stove in more than 30 years. 

Oh I'm not planning on getting on other retention plans with other carriers. You made it clear if I want to save money using my own cell phone. Find another provider and dont get locked into a contract. All I wanted was more data for the same price that I'm paying or I'm going to start looking. 45 dollars for 2 gigabytes of data is not enough. 

I'm already paying more now that I'm no longer getting a discount for paying off the tab. Now if you cant do better than 6 gb for 40 dollars on the Roger's network with everything else unlimited disappear.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'm already paying more now that I'm no longer getting a discount for paying off the tab. Now if you cant do better than 6 gb for 40 dollars on the Roger's network with everything else unlimited disappear.  

If Rogers is offering you $40 for 6GB, you should grab it. 

Sign up with them and request port/transfer Koodo's number. Don't cancel Koodo until porting process is done. (They need active account to do it).

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hey @M.mikehoyt - we’d really like to mend our relationship, but need some more help in understanding what the exact issue is and what you’d truly like at the end of the day.

I was able to pull up your account, and it looks like you spoke with a couple of different reps on Sunday who offered you some great alternatives to the plan you have currently.  Was there something in particular about these plans that wouldn’t meet your needs? If you can share what exactly is still missing, we can see how we can close the gap.

Hi ranjan, 

I'm just not happy paying what I'm paying for the amount of data I'm getting. I used to receive a discount on my bill when I didnt have a tab now I'm no longer receiving that. 2gb of data is not a lot and I feel restricted using my phone because I dont want to go over my data. After talking to your last few reps it sounds like theres nothing that can be done and if I want more data and to save money I need to take the deal Rogers is offering me. Feel free to contact me this evening if there is something you can do and you are not a senior business analyst because I've had horrible experiences dealing with senior business analysts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@M.mikehoyt  - What’s the best time to call you? I can give you a shout when you’re free. 

Around 6pm est

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

No prob - we’ll chat then. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Truly enjoyed our chat, @M.mikehoyt  - I don't remember the last time I had a non-work call for more than half an hour 😂

As mentioned, I'll reply back to this thread tomorrow morning to confirm once the change has been made to your account. I'm happy we were able to find a compromise. Have a great night!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@M.mikehoyt  - confirming that the additional data option we discussed yesterday has been added to your account. You can verify by going into your Self Serve account :)

Good luck with everything, and let us know if there’s anything else we can assist with.