Koodo Community
Solved

Hotspot Data Sharing Between Koodo Mobile Phone Users (Pseudo Family Plan; Share One Plan's Data)

• 16 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Since there are no Family Plans with Koodo (bummer! Fix that Koodo!), is there a way to share a hotspot so that another Koodo user can have data for the month and cancel the data on their plan by downgrading to one without data?

I assume it would only work when we are in close proximity?

What about quality of the connection - Has anyone tried a hotspot on Koodo from a Huawei P20 to a Windows phone or low-grade Samsung Galaxy (can't remember the model #, it's either a J3 or A5)?
icon

Best answer by Goran 16 January 2019, 22:46

It works fine within range. Beware unless you turn on a limited data wifi setting in windows computers should you choose to, it'll burn right through data with auto updates and such. Burned 4gb in an hour once making that mistake.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You can hotspot to any device as long as you are in proximity.

Quality should no be an issue as long as you are in range. I have hotspotted with koodo on various phones to various phones or tablets and even computers (ex. during events with my company to sign up customers, during the pokemon go craze).
I dont see why the A5 J3 or P20 would be any different
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
It works fine within range. Beware unless you turn on a limited data wifi setting in windows computers should you choose to, it'll burn right through data with auto updates and such. Burned 4gb in an hour once making that mistake.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Also why hotspotting, you use way more battery, especially if you hotspot multiple devices at 1 time
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Beware unless you turn on a limited data wifi setting in windows computers should you choose to, it'll burn right through data with auto updates and such. Burned 4gb in an hour once making that mistake.

@kittyroara in Windows, you need to mark the hotspot connection as a "metered connection". This prevents the OS from downloading patches in the background. If it would happen to start downloading one of the larger cumulative updates, as @Goran mentions, you can easily burn through an entire month's worth of data in a very short period of time without even knowing (until you get the shock free data text).

Also why hotspotting, you use way more battery, especially if you hotspot multiple devices at 1 time

Thanks for mentioning this @Dennis, it was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, too. Do be aware @kittyroara that on most (if not all) phones, turning on your hot spot and connecting devices to it will cause it to burn through battery power at a significantly quicker rate. Not only are the WiFi connections to your other device(s) consuming power, but now all of your cellular traffic is funneling through the hot spot phone, so your cellular radio is significantly busier as well. Both the Wi-Fi and cellular radios drain power whenever they are active, but now you're basically funneling all the traffic from multiple phones through it, meaning that drain is basically multiplied by the number of devices you funnel through the hotspot phone.
Thanks everyone!