Koodo Community

Honor loyal customer...not so much.....

• 23 September 2020
  • 8 replies

First of all, I am very shock with koodo!! My tab credit balance ($100) that have been with me for many years, suddenly just disappeared in July! After checking it my online service last week, Koodo wiped out my tab credit $100 (Removed in July 2020) which I could have used on purchasing a new phone. When i mentioned this, the rep guy apologized, and told me it’s their new protocol.....

The retention guy still didn’t recover my $100 credit tab, but instead on telling me to get a new phone, I said no i didn’t want to get a new phone, and still my $100 credit tab hasn’t been recovered…. smh

ANYWAYS….Aside this issue, i know someone who got a sweet deal, $39 for 11gb, I mentioned this to the retention guy, he told me I need to get a new line or buy a new phone. I told him no it’s ok, I am not looking to buy a new phone or getting a new line since I already have 2 lines, and not ready to purchase any new phone. Then he offered me $45 for 7GB deal (that was his last offer)...This is not even a good deal to what i currently have ($60 for 12Gb). I was like no thanks!

I find it that Koodo doesn’t value their customer as they used to be, or maybe it's just me who is unlucky speaking to this rep? 

Anyways I am really disappointed.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

The tab’s purpose is to buy phones. If you were left with a tab credit, at the end of the tab period, it is reasonable to ask you to use the tab credit balance to buy a new phone.

Wiping out your tab credit balance is NOT reasonable, unless you were provided with adequate warning and reasonable options which included a reasonable expiry date. Not knowing the full story, if it would have happened to me, I would demand to see the specific contract terms, based on which the credit balance was set to $0. 

No warning, it was just wiped!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you see the credit when you go to purchase new phone online?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Do you see the credit when you go to purchase new phone online?

@Allan M is right.  Your credit is still there.  Koodo just moved it to the phone purchasing side of things instead of holding a positive tab.

I have not heard of the $39/11GB deal but do see a $39/9GB deal on RFD but it seems to be based on moving over from Freedom but the plan is $50/9Gb with credits that expire.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-hot-koodo-39-9gb-35-11gb-add-line-ymmv-2404250/

Userlevel 2

From what I understand the legacy positive tabs that were left out there have been moved into offers loaded onto customer accounts as offers that the reps in store will see when you are upgrading your phone. You should also see them online if you sign into self serve and try to check out a phone.

I’ve had a similar but worse experience...I’ve been a Koodo prepaid customer for about 6 years in total. Thankfully I haven’t had need for a cell upgrade but when I did (approximately 15 months ago) my positive tab credit of $350 had disappeared). I had originally went into a Telus/Koodo store when I was told that Koodo had decided to withdraw tab credits entirely. I called Koodo and after much complaints and hassles I was told OK, we see you are a long time and valuable customer so we will provide you an upgrade to an I-phone 8. Remember this was 15 months ago and that was old technology at the time but better than nothing right? Wrong, I went into the store today to add another phone line to my account. The rep advised me that when I did this upgrade I somehow committed to a 2 year contract and now I have a negative $69.00 owing tab. How could I be obligated to a contract I wasn’t told about and never agreed to? They mailed me the new cell phone. Bottom line is since I’m in the negative (unknown to me) I cannot upgrade my plan. The new plan I wanted (new cell and line doesn’t play into this any longer due to my frustration with Koodo) cannot be changed even though I am willing to pay more per month until or unless my balance is in the positive. How crazy is this? Anyone have an explanation or remedy?

Badge +4

@Unhappy User Are you able to login to your self-serve account and download your Customer Service Agreement(s)?

Viewing and downloading your Customer Service Agreements (CSA)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You mentioned that  "The rep advised me that when I did this upgrade I somehow committed to a 2 year contract and now I have a negative $69.00 owing tab. How could I be obligated to a contract I wasn’t told about and never agreed to? ".

Everytime you change your service agreement - upgrade your phone, change your plan and  add Add/remove Add-ons...etc, they always send you a new service agreement email like this : I'll attach a screenshot.

I'm surprised you didn't check it? If you don't want new service agreement, then you could cancel back then.

You also mentioned your positive tab of $350 was gone back then. But their tab system was capped at $150 AFAIK. I don't know how you were able to add $200 over that cap. 

Anyway they tried to adjust price for you and offered a phone and you agreed to take it.   You still have 8-9 months left to complete 24months tab pay down and you only have $69 left. It means your tab charge was under $10/mo?  It was I believe good deal at that time.

You said "unless my balance is in the positive. How crazy is this" for your phone upgrade.  You can just pay off your Tab and you can upgrade your phone. It's nothing crazy about that..