Koodo Community

high data usage

• 25 February 2021
  • 12 replies

The last couple months I've been burning through Data very quickly. I have 9 GB and essentially all I use it for is reading off websites. I watch no video and only download over WIFI.  My phone is an S20 plus. Any ideas?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Have you checked your usage in settings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You use 9 GIG on browsing websites??? That doesn’t add up… do you use your phone for tethering perhaps?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Settings > connections > data usage > mobile data usage.

What does it say here?

Do you use WiFi at home? 

According to the settings approximately 90% of the data used is from Samsung internet. The rest is mainly checking Email and the odd time I go on Facebook marketplace. It's never tethered. I'm just wondering if the resolution on the newer phones use more as my older phone doing the same thing I rarely used up the 3GB I had.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

So Samsung internet used 8GB??? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

When you surfed the net, did you see a lot of advertisement around? An ad with video could consume ton of data. So be careful if you go back and forth on pages when ads could reload contents and consume your precious data. If possible, I would suggest you look for an adblocker for your device.

I mainly use the internet to to check sports scores, usually on ESPN.  I have video Autoplay set to off but I'm not sure if ads are getting loaded up or not.  Maybe I'll try a different site to check scores to see if that helps. Any ideas on a good Ad blocker?

The exact same thing is happening to me. The past 2 Bill cycles it’s blown through my data with no explanation. Within 30 seconds I get a text my data is 50% used, 99% used, and 100% used. It makes zero sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The exact same thing is happening to me. The past 2 Bill cycles it’s blown through my data with no explanation. Within 30 seconds I get a text my data is 50% used, 99% used, and 100% used. It makes zero sense.

The same question would apply.  When you look at your data usage in settings, what app does it say is using your data?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Many modern browsers have a “lite mode” meant for faster browsing and using less mobile data. Please check to see if your browser has this option under settings. If not, consider switching to a browser that does.

Your phone should have a data saving mode in addition to the one in browser. That being said, some browsers might be resource hogs (like chrome on computers) so you may want to look into changing browser app.

You might also want to check if your phone is still using data when you thought it should be connected to wifi. Here’s someone from Samsung forums where their phone was also burning through data while they thought it was connected to wifi: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-note10-series/how-to-stop-mobile-data-usage-when-wifi-is-connected/td-p/1443941

So I went into my daily usage for today as the data for the month reset and it shows normal browsing data usage of 32.71MB  and 25.82Mb for times I turned on my data and used the internet. Then there is one for exactly 400MB. I looked back at daily usage for the month of Feb and there is a bunch of times where anywhere from 100mb-500mb is showing up. Always by the denominations of 100, not like the normal numbers like I mentioned before. Any ideas?