Koodo Community
Question

Help transferring phone number to new account

Hi there.

I’m having trouble transferring my phone number to my new Koodo account. I am currently with Koodo, but my plan is through my mom’s account. I planned on changing my plan (to a different Koodo plan), so I created a new Koodo account for this new plan (so it won’t be through my mom’s account anymore). I went through Self Serve to “Manage your phone number”, and I clicked “Transfer your phone number”.  When I type in my number in the “Enter new Koodo number” box, it says “This number is not eligible to be transferred. Please go to koodo.com/chat and enter "#HelpSS" to schedule a callback.” I tried scheduling a callback and they called me. I pressed 1 to speak to a rep and it dialed for a few minutes and then just hung up on me, so I thought I would try here.

I think the problem must be that this transfer number feature is for transferring a number from another provider, but I’m just trying to switch from one plan on one Koodo account to another plan on a different Koodo account. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I like my current phone number and it would be a great hassle to change it now.

Also I received the SIM card in the mail for my new plan on new account, but I haven’t put it in yet.

Thank you!

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Oof, you went about it the wrong way I'm afraid. All you had to do was contact Koodo and request that your line be split off to your own account.

You can still do that and cancel your new line again. Since you haven't used it yet, they might waive any fees if you explain your mistake.

Alternatively, you can port your old number to some prepaid service and then port it back to your new Koodo account. There is a cost involved in splitting the lines, but probably less than the hassle!

Ahhh.. so I overcomplicated things lol. Would I have to contact Koodo over the phone, or could I visit an outlet? There’s a Koodo kiosk at a mall nearby. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You will need the account holder to present some pieces of ID, so it's probably easiest to contact Koodo through Facebook or Twitter DM. They will walk you through the process 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Just to note you'll need either to talk to Koodo with your mom present with you, or have her call in first to have notes on the account approving you to change your line into your own name.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi there.

I’m having trouble transferring my phone number to my new Koodo account. I am currently with Koodo, but my plan is through my mom’s account. I planned on changing my plan (to a different Koodo plan), so I created a new Koodo account for this new plan (so it won’t be through my mom’s account anymore). I went through Self Serve to “Manage your phone number”, and I clicked “Transfer your phone number”.  When I type in my number in the “Enter new Koodo number” box, it says “This number is not eligible to be transferred. Please go to koodo.com/chat and enter "#HelpSS" to schedule a callback.” I tried scheduling a callback and they called me. I pressed 1 to speak to a rep and it dialed for a few minutes and then just hung up on me, so I thought I would try here.

I think the problem must be that this transfer number feature is for transferring a number from another provider, but I’m just trying to switch from one plan on one Koodo account to another plan on a different Koodo account. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I like my current phone number and it would be a great hassle to change it now.

Also I received the SIM card in the mail for my new plan on new account, but I haven’t put it in yet.

Thank you!

In terms of getting your own account, you can easily do a transfer of ownership for your old line. Note there will be a $45 fee for this service. https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/transfer-of-ownership-town

Personally speaking, I would suggest you to port out and port back to Koodo with the new plan as suggested by @Sophia, but that may be a hassle for you.