Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Help me manage multiple kids prepaid accounts under one email address!

I just registered a prepaid phone for my son and want to add daughters to same account. Is possible or do i need to set up an email address for each phone as user id? would like to manage 3 prepaid phones under same account or atleast unique user names tied with same email address contact info. Possible? How?

14 replies

Userlevel 3
That sound like a very reasonable ask, there is a lady here by the name of Sophia, she is extremely knowledgeable and has a prepaid account. Hopefully she will chime in and let's you know if it's possible. If it's not possible it shouldbe recommended to koodo as an idea. An alternative, that I would suggest is to set up per-authorized top-ups for your kids' accounts, that way it's all automatic and you don't have to worry about a thing. Your kids can still track their use through *611 and it teaches them responsibility not to blow their minutes if they need any. Texting is unlimited with koodo prepaid so all you need is $15 a month.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Thanks Emil 🙂 But I'm afraid I'm the bringer of bad news.... you can't have various prepaid accounts under the same email address. The only way is register your kids accounts with separate email addresses and log out of one address and then log into the other one. I do the same with my husband's and my own account (I manage both). It's a BIT of a pain, but as far as I know, email is never used in any way except to log in, or (if needed) reset a password. Hope that won't stop you from signing up though as I feel Koodo prepaid is perfect for kids who text a lot and talk little! 🙂
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Thanks Emil 🙂 But I'm afraid I'm the bringer of bad news.... you can't have various prepaid acco...

Seriously? On postpaid you can call Koodo and they can link one profile to as many accounts as you have access to. (There may be an upper limit but it's not done enough for me to know.) I don't work for prepaid so I don't know for sure but why can't that be possible?
Userlevel 6
Sophia wrote:

Thanks Emil 🙂 But I'm afraid I'm the bringer of bad news.... you can't have various prepaid acco...

Yeah Curtules, Sophia's right. It's one line/one account policy, sadly 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

You'd be amazed how different the two services are, Curtules. I know I said it many times... it's almost like two completely different companies when it comes to prepaid and postpaid... can't think of anything they have in common except the name "Koodo" 🙂
Userlevel 2
@Sophia While you need to set up each account separately, I wonder can't you link them to one account. That way practically you log in using one a/c but can manage all accounts from within. It works with my monthly plans but not sure about prepaid? I do it by going to My Profile and then Combine Self Serve Accounts.
Rogers has a better model: one username, but multiple pay-as-you-go (prepaid) [b]numbers that can be linked to it. At least give people (like me) that want to manager their kids' accounts this way the option of doing so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Rogers has a better model: one username, but multiple pay-as-you-go (prepaid) [b]numbers that...

Hi Patrick, you have participated in several threads concerning your objections to the way Koodo prepaid works (we know your stance, haha), please don't revive a 5 months old thread just to repeat your complaints - valid though they may be, I must add 🙂
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Rogers has a better model: one username, but multiple pay-as-you-go (prepaid) [b]numbers that...

It's because I keep encountering issues when doing simple things. For example, I'm trying to set up a 4th phone on prepaid. I tried to purchase accessories (regular prepaid SIM card) and clicked "existing customer"...which took me to the regular login screen...until I figured out that I need to go to the prepaid login screen...which resulted in a corrupt screen. Then I realized that, a couple of months ago, I renamed my username but apparently the e-mail on my profile (all 3 prepaid accounts) is something different and can't be changed, so I have to be careful to select a 4th e-mail (which I can do since I have my own domain, but not everyone does) to keep it completely separate from the other 3...and be sure to use a different CC# as well, else I'll step on that land mine as well. Let me also add that, by accident, I put 2 prepaid SIM cards in my cart by mistake, but when I clicked EDIT/SAVE, a message pops up saying this product [b]isn't available online and that I should go to a store. So, it's pretty clear that the prepaid model is a single account/single number one and if anyone tries to manage 2 or more accounts, they will need 2 or more separate e-mail addresses...plus an extra CC# for every multiple of 3 accounts. On the one hand, you want all prepaid accounts to be independent (like T-Mobile), but in the background you keep track of the number that are linked to a single CC#, and don't document this anywhere. Also, because you use an e-mail address as the username (vs 10-digit number like T-Mobile), it's not obvious that customers must have a separate e-mail for each prepaid account. The reason I bring this up in a 5 month-old thread is that these problem are going to continue to exist [b]forever until you fix them with better documentation and perhaps a re-designed management interface/dashboard.
"and be sure to use a different CC# as well, else I'll step on that land mine as well." Multiple login/account issues aside, is there a problem with using one CC number on several accounts? I've set up 2 using the same CC, but I'm new and haven't hit my first auto-top-up yet. Thanks in advance for any insights 🙂 Brian
Yes, do a search on [i]credit card. Look for the thread that has about 200 posts in it. While not documented, if you try to link more than 3 accounts to the same CC# then [b]all your accounts will be blocked from using or linking any CCs for 15 days. That CC# will also be marked as [i]bad for 15 days. This [i]fraud prevention policy seems to be unique...anywhere.
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Yes, do a search on [i]credit card. Look for the thread that has about 200 posts in it. W...

Wow, that's good information to have, especially ahead of time. Fortunately, thus far I have only 2 prepaid accounts and haven't run into the same problems. I will keep it in mind once I add accounts for the kids in a few months. It's surprising when a system that an organization uses to take money doesn't work. Especially for Koodo, which -- thus far -- has met my needs fairly well. I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what happens with my first renewal next month. I think it's issues like this that make many people think that prepaid wireless is only for teenagers, drug dealers, and other poor people with bad credit. This is not at all the case, and it reflects badly. Thanks for the heads up -- Happy New Year.
Patrick Coghlan wrote:

Yes, do a search on [i]credit card. Look for the thread that has about 200 posts in it. W...

Koodo's prepaid service and pricing are excellent. I give them that. I and two of my university-age kids have prepaid accounts, and I'm in the process of moving my wife's phone from Rogers' prepaid to Koodo (had to buy her a 3G phone). The cell phone industry is geared to put users into a new phone every 2-3 years. Prepaid helps you avoid that [b]trap. My kids already have iPhone 4S handsets, and just need service. They don't have $70/month for a plan. Heck, neither do I. The boosters for voice/data that never expire are a real bonus. Alas, there are some hiccups when it comes to linking multiple prepaid accounts to CCs and having to come up with multiple e-mail addresses for online management of accounts. I am slowly learning to deal with this reality, but it's really frustrating for new customers.
Userlevel 6
For those following this old topic, check out this thread: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/managing_multiple_prepaid_accounts_this_may_help_you