Koodo Community
Solved

Help! major glitch/ hack makes me call people all day and night!

• 1 October 2020
  • 4 replies

All of a sudden,  out of nowhere, I got a call from a random number. When I answered, he said "hello?" And i said "hello?", and he said "you called me", and I said, "no you called me!". 

Then it happened again.... and again.... and again.... until my phone was off the hook! Literally every 2 seconds I was getting one of these calls. I couldn't even place a call to koodo,  because another call would come in.  Either I was calling someone,  or they were calling me to say they missed a call. I get a text message every 2 seconds to ask who I was,  or tell me to f off, or say they are trying to return my call. Some of them are mad!

I went to koodo. They werent much help.  I turned on call control,  so they have to press a number to talk to me so it's not a robot. This is when I realized that these calls are coming in ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT, when I turned off my phone! 

Koodo said I could change my number,  but I can't! I run my business through this number,  it would be devastating to my business to change it.  

Anyone have any suggestions? I need to save my business! The police? Would they even be able to help? Please help me,  I have no idea what I can do!

icon

Best answer by Sophia 1 October 2020, 20:05

We’ve gone through this as well, with a non-Koodo number. There is a silver lining: usually spammers/scammers use a number only briefly and then move on to the next randomly generated caller ID. In our case the angry call backs stopped within a week… it was no fun but at least it didn’t last long.

It’s very scary to get really irate people on the phone yelling at you to stop calling them… and you never did!

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We’ve gone through this as well, with a non-Koodo number. There is a silver lining: usually spammers/scammers use a number only briefly and then move on to the next randomly generated caller ID. In our case the angry call backs stopped within a week… it was no fun but at least it didn’t last long.

It’s very scary to get really irate people on the phone yelling at you to stop calling them… and you never did!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You could also block all calls that are not from your contacts list using do not disturb mode on either iPhone or Samsung.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It's called caller id spoofing.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Userlevel 7

It sounds like a real nightmare!! Looks like somebody is using your number in some highly visible promotion, to help make it look legit. I understand why you do not want to change your number. What you can do, in the short term, is suspend your number for a limited time (and get a pay as you go SIM) OR direct the calls straight to your voice mail until the wave of calls stops. You may also consider Contacting the CRTC to report this incident.