Koodo Community
Solved

Scammers Spoofing my number

• 20 October 2021
  • 8 replies

I was online and filled out a loan application.  The guy said he would call me back about some details. My friends phone number showed up, when I answered it was the loan guy. Okay so how? I hadn't spoke to her for a while and how did this so called loan guy get her number? Answer seems obvious my phone is compromised. I've changed all my banking stuff etc. Today I go into the koodo store and 3 sentences in the girl says oh your phone is fine. Hackers can't do that. Your friend is playing games?? My anger made me leave. Doesn't help me though. I'm still stuck with my hacked phone. What can I do to clean this phone or can it be done? 

icon

Best answer by Timo Tuokkola 23 December 2021, 00:01

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I was online and filled out a loan application.  The guy said he would call me back about some details. My friends phone number showed up, when I answered it was the loan guy. Okay so how? I hadn't spoke to her for a while and how did this so called loan guy get her number? Answer seems obvious my phone is compromised. I've changed all my banking stuff etc. Today I go into the koodo store and 3 sentences in the girl says oh your phone is fine. Hackers can't do that. Your friend is playing games?? My anger made me leave. Doesn't help me though. I'm still stuck with my hacked phone. What can I do to clean this phone or can it be done? 

People these days can easily spoof their number, so I am not surprised at all that someone did this. This is likely one of those incidents. https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/telemarketing/identit.htm

Somebody Phone me today and said that my # was bieng used for online scams today is that possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Somebody Phone me today and said that my # was bieng used for online scams today is that possible.

It's called  call display spoofing. They're not using your number, they're making the system display your number in call display to trick people into answering because it's a local call. There isn't really much that can be done to prevent it. Just wait it out and in a few days they'll move on to using another randomly generated number.

I even had my own phone number call me. It was a scammer. Not much you can do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Lou if you’re a post-paid customer, I highly recommend you check out the Call Control feature.  Since turning it on, I don’t believe I’ve had a single spam call come through.  It’s quite remarkably effective (at least for now--the scammers are always working on innovating; if only they could use their powers for good!)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work for when YOUR number is used as a spoof. We have had this and for about two weeks, the phone went off the wall with irate people DEMANDING we’d stop trying to scam them. Of course we never did. I didn’t dare pick up any longer and even the voicemails were full of vitriol. We were on the brink of changing our number when the spammers decided to spoof another poor victim’s number and the angry callbacks eased off, then stopped altogether.

I really hope that the Canadian carriers will do more than just call control (awesome though it is) and actually stop these calls at the source… surely they can tell if a caller is genuine or a spoofer on VoIP and block the call if that is the case.

@Lou if you’re a post-paid customer, I highly recommend you check out the Call Control feature.  Since turning it on, I don’t believe I’ve had a single spam call come through.  It’s quite remarkably effective (at least for now--the scammers are always working on innovating; if only they could use their powers for good!)

This was a few years ago and I haven't received too much in the way of unwanted calls for quite awhile.

I will definately ad call control if things change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work for when YOUR number is used as a spoof.

@Sophia yep, I get that.  I was referring specifically to preventing receiving calls from scammers, rather than preventing them from spoofing you.