Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Glitchy Phone, want a new one. Ideas?


I currently own a Sansumg Galaxy Ace and it is glitchy and it lags, I'm considering getting a enw phone but I'm not sure if I should get the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 or the iPhone 4S. If you have any suggestions for a smart phone, that'd be great.

15 replies

my personal opinion, since you already have an android device is to stick with another android device. The Ace2 is a nice choice, but depending on how much you want to spend, I would consider either the S3 or the Nexus .... (And the fact that I can't stand Apple makes me choose android also) 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Take the s2x over the ace 2. It's priced the same as the iphone 4 and is a far better phone than the ace 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Well, your own Ace can tell you what to expect from the Ace 2. I'd advise you to stay away from any Android device priced less than $250. The iPhone 4S is no longer offered by Koodo and you'd have to buy a secondhand one elsewhere. My vote goes to the Nokia Lumia 520. I bought one two days ago and posted a review about it yesterday: http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/love_the_lumia_520 For $150, you will not find a better value in a smartphone anywhere, ever. If you have a bigger budget, I'd go with the Galaxy S2X, as Timo suggested. But, it's $300. I wouldn't even consider an iPhone 4 at $300. It was a good buy a few months ago when it was $250, but $300 for a 3-year old device is pushing it.
Userlevel 1
Ivan wrote:

Well, your own Ace can tell you what to expect from the Ace 2. I'd advise you to stay away from a...

You got some suggestions here Like Samsung Galaxy SIIX, Nexus, SII, Nokia 520, very hard to make choice, following your experience with android OS you will know that a phone you know is better than a phone you don't know, so I'll go for Samsung SIII or S4. it'l be your choice, asking your friends about their own experience with Android phones will also help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ivan wrote:

Well, your own Ace can tell you what to expect from the Ace 2. I'd advise you to stay away from a...

I disagree with that. A good majority of Android users don't buy apps, so it's unlikely that she has a lot invested into the ecosystem. If she does go for the Lumia 520 and doesn't like Windows Phone, she has 14 days to exchange it for a different device. That'd be the path I'd take (and did when the Z10 came out, returned it 2 days later). I really wouldn't recommend a Nexus 4, Galaxy S3, and particularly not an S4 to her, for one simple reason: price. These are all great phones, but she bought the Ace for a reason. And it's not just the device cost upfront. Accidents do happen and breaking your $150 device is far less painful than breaking your $300-700 device.
Userlevel 7
If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install a custom rom like Cyanogenmod 7. You can then expand the storage capacity and tweak beyond what the stock firmware allows. I only recommend this if your warranty is up because it is possible to brick the phone. But you'll probably be happy with it once again. I must agree however that if you're already using an android you won't be thrilled with the iPhone. The S2x is a great step up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install...

I've had a number of people that switched from Android to either iOS or WP., and they were thrilled with the switch. My primary device right now is an Android (HTC One), but there's a reason why I recommend WP over Android in the entry level. I don't know if you've noticed that most WP-related problems in this community are with getting non-Koodo WP devices to work fully on Koodo's network. I haven't noticed a single performance complaint.
Userlevel 1
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install...

Don't get mixed-up Ann with all above suggestions, because at the end last choice goes to you, in addition to : (You got some suggestions here Like Samsung Galaxy SIIX, Nexus, SII, Nokia 520) you got more suggestions like: Z10, HTC. One, etc... The good question to ask to yourself is: How much I'm willing to spend?, If you want to follow Chad advice, Root your phone, save money and keep your Galaxy ace.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install...

I was wondering when Chad was gonna bring out the Cyanogenmod 7 Gotta Star that!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install...

If choosing the custom ROM option, I'd suggest MIUI. Most fluid custom ROMs in my opinion.
Userlevel 7
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install...

I loved it too but was unstable on my s2x
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chad Burr wrote:

If you're interested, you can squeeze more life outta that ace by learning to root it and install...

I used it on my G2X and it was fine. Can't comment about its stability on the Ace, but it won't cost anything to try.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If those are your only 2 options I would choose the iPhone 4S. However I would advise that any high-end smartphone that is a year or 2 old is a better choice over any current low-end smartphone. And they should be comparable in price
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If those are your only 2 options I would choose the iPhone 4S. However I would advise that any...

What about phones like LG Optimus 2X or the Nokia Lumia 900? Both are 2-year old flagships and both would make a terrible choice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

If those are your only 2 options I would choose the iPhone 4S. However I would advise that any...

You are right about those ones! Also poor Sony. No one ever mentions their phones anymore. My pre-smartphone Sony Ericsson was da bomb!

Reply