Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Future shop not honoring return|exchange with receipt under 14 days


hi on January 31st I went to Future Shop and got a phone for my husband. he was not happy with the phone choice and wanted to get a different type of phone Future Shop told me that because I'd gone over my 50 megabytes of data plan that there was nothing they could do. I went from the future shop to a Koodo shop and they could not do anything about exchanging the phone there I had to do it at the retail partner. so the long and the short of it is ....I had to pay Koodo $300 to pay off the tab for phone that id had for 13 days I have my receipts I don't owe Koodo for service and the phone is in pristine condition There's got to be something that can be done to correct this Can anyone help me. When I called Koodo today they told me to post here

50 replies

Userlevel 5
The return policy on any phone purchased is 14 days. If you have an issue with the phone they will gladly exchange it for you in those 14 days. (For the same model) However, they will not return the device and agreement if you've gone over Koodo's allotted return usage. Which should have been made very clear upon purchase.

Koodo will not return your agreement if you've surpassed 30 minutes talk time or 50mb of Data.

There's really no way around it.
Userlevel 7
Justin Robichaud wrote:

The return policy on any phone purchased is 14 days. If you have an issue with the phone they wil...

That's not true.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Justin Robichaud wrote:

The return policy on any phone purchased is 14 days. If you have an issue with the phone they wil...

I've returned phones that surpassed that "limit". As there's no way to determine which phone actually used the airtime, it's pointless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
According to the CRTC it is 15 days for the trial period. Section G.14 http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm If you are over your limits, I believe the Koodo kiosks (if you bought the phone from them) will let you return the phone and cancel but they will charge you for the usage (so you pay for the plan). The fact future shop only gave you 14 days (we heard this before at the Mobile Shop), that is a Future Shop or Retailer policy which Koodo does not control. Personally I would file a complaint with the CRTC that Future Shop did not honour the Wireless Code of Conduct (on the time part, not the limits part as they are well within their rights to say no once you exceed the limits - however I would ask for any documentation given to you that informed you of the limits beforehand). It sounds like it is too late, but I personally would have reset all usage info on the phone (factory reset) so they wouldnt know you went over your limits. You could have went over your limits with the sim card in another phone. Which means the phone is returnable, and you can cancel the monthly plan later (which is significantly less than the cost of the phone). This way you would be able to get another phone, or just tell them you are going with your own phone and then cancel the plan when you get home. Sorry, the last paragraph got long winded and repetitive. Hope it all made sense
Userlevel 5
Dennis wrote:

According to the CRTC it is 15 days for the trial period. Section G.14 http://www.crtc.gc.ca/en...

We do allow 15 days for return. I always say 14, it's a bad habit and based on our return policy on some other electronics. As for wiping the phone. We always contact Koodo to see what the usage is on the account before returning anything so that we don't get hit on the back end. So that won't work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

According to the CRTC it is 15 days for the trial period. Section G.14 http://www.crtc.gc.ca/en...

Maybe I hated the phone and used an unlocked phone to rack up those charges. Unless Koodo can prove I exceeded the usage limits on that specific phone, then I am well within my rights to return the phone during the trial period.
Userlevel 5
Dennis wrote:

According to the CRTC it is 15 days for the trial period. Section G.14 http://www.crtc.gc.ca/en...

Completely valid point. From my experience it hasn't been that easy. However, I'm more curious as to why the Future Shop associate didn't bother to call Retail Support and simply ask for an exception. Although I may have an answer to that question and it may or may not have something to do with commission. I've never really had too many issues dealing with Koodo about cancellations within the 15 days. Had many customers dislike a phone and be a little over talk and data, it's never usually a big deal.
Userlevel 7
I don't see the big deal about exchanging the phone. If you were completely returning it then I can see them making a stink but an exchange would still make the rep commission and your husband gets the phone he wants so everyone wins. They didn't handle that well.
Koodo must release IMEI from my acct and future shop will take return
Update...Future shop will NOT exchange phone because Koodo won't remove my name from phones IMEI so phone is blacklisted for retail resell. And to return the phone would mean I'd have to cancel the contract and start a new one and Future Shop won't do that. Corporate BS at its finest. I'm not pleased with either Future Shop or Koodo. 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
blawndie wrote:

Update...Future shop will NOT exchange phone because Koodo won't remove my name from phones IMEI ...

I would report them both to the CRTC http://www.ccts-cprst.ca/complaints/guide
Userlevel 5
blawndie wrote:

Update...Future shop will NOT exchange phone because Koodo won't remove my name from phones IMEI ...

Would be a waste of time. Section G.1.iii states. " A service provider may establish reasonable limits on the use of voice, text, and data services for the trial period." Those usage limits that have been set have been surpassed. Not much you can do. Just unfortunate that it involved Koodo. This would have been the exact same scenario had it been ANY other wireless company.
Badge +4
blawndie wrote:

Update...Future shop will NOT exchange phone because Koodo won't remove my name from phones IMEI ...

If I were a lawyer, I'd have a field day with that statement. We don't know if the OP used 51 MB or 510 MB. The operative word is 'may'. The usage limits are not set in stone and Koodo has offered leniency in the past. From what I'm reading, the only limit surpassed was for data only.
Userlevel 5
blawndie wrote:

Update...Future shop will NOT exchange phone because Koodo won't remove my name from phones IMEI ...

Don't get me wrong at all I'm not justifying what they're doing to her. I'm just simply stating facts. Facts that some companies, I won't name them here, will take very seriously, too seriously. I've returned dozens of phone WAY over the usage. It's just a polite call to customer care. Koodo and Telus are the two that I've had the best success with that too. I'm still very upset that the Future Shop consultant didn't simpy look into the matter or call and ask instead of just basically leaving it at "Oh sorry you're over the usage, too bad".
Badge +4
Here's an excerpt from Future Shop's Returns and Exchanges Policy for cell phones and wireless devices. [i]"Future Shop adheres to the CRTC Wireless Code of conduct and the rights of the consumer. Subject to usage restrictions set by the carriers, cell phones may be returned within up to 15 days of the purchase date or up to 30 days after purchase for those who have self-identified themselves as a person with a disability". Wireless Code of Canada: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t13.htm I personally think that 50 MB is a ridiculously small amount of data and is easily consumed especially when people are just getting the hang of how their new phone works. Add to the fact that mobile data is enabled from factory on most smartphones today, the customer may not realize this until its too late.
Userlevel 5
Unless the CRTC also specifies a limit as to what the usage can be set by the carrier there's nothing that can be done.

All the carriers right now have a 30 minutes talk time and 50mb of data limit to usage within the trial period. With the exception of I think Bell and Virgin, whom I belive is 30 minutes and 30mb I forget now I always just inform my customers 30 and 30. I don't agree with it either, but I also don't make the rules. 😞
Badge +4
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Unless the CRTC also specifies a limit as to what the usage can be set by the carrier there's not...

I don't think you've read the last part of my post. Mobile data is enabled by default from the factory, at least on all the Android devices I've purchased/received from Koodo, Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Future Shop. During initial setup, there are ways to turn it off, but in the rush to get the customer on their way or if mobile reps are extremely busy, this step is often overlooked. Justin, you have access to all sorts of Android devices, check it out for yourself. You don't have to set the device up, just skip through setup and go to Settings > Data usage and tell me what you see. It's not the sellers fault per ce and more to do with how Android is configured. iPhone and Windows Phone also ship with mobile data enabled. Pretty sure Blackberry is the same, though I'm not near my Z10 at the moment. Turning mobile data off at point of sale would essentially cover the stores' end for any undue negligence. As it stands now, the customer leaves the store while data, unknowingly enabled, chews away at their allotted data amount. If the customer decides to return the device within the return period, they're on the hook for data usage. According to Koodo's return and exchange policy: [i]"If your usage stays within the limits below, we’ll waive your first bill. If your usage exceeds any one of these limits, [b]you can still return or exchange your phone but you’ll be responsible for your bill". Details on reasonable usage: 30 minutes of talk time (local and/or long distance) 50 text messages (incoming and outgoing) 50 MB data So, the phone can still be returned or exchanged, the usage is applied to the customers bill. I imagine discretion would be left up to retail support and whether or not data usage is deemed excessive.
Userlevel 5
Justin Robichaud wrote:

Unless the CRTC also specifies a limit as to what the usage can be set by the carrier there's not...

I understand 100% As I stated earlier, I've returned many devices, on Koodo specifically, that were far over usage. It was a simple call to customer service and I'm confused still as to why the wasn't done by the store. I'm also disappointed with that store.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No proof that the usage was with the new phone. Wipe the usage info (you should factory reset any ways) And say usage was when you put your sim in the other device
Userlevel 5
I'm sure the carriers don't care that you used another phone in the meantime. They'd sooner expect you'd have just returned right away instead of using another phone for 2 weeks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They can charge you for the plan but the phone should be allowed to be exchanged. I would still report to the CRTC. Doesnt hurt and doesnt require must effort since you got a full out no any ways. You never know what may happen. it may surprise you
Userlevel 5
Very true! It may also be the first step in having the carriers forced to raise the ridiculous usage limit.
Hey guys...in my opinion 50 mb data is ridiculously low he used 64mb in the first 11 min the phone was turned on....add Google updates for contacts etc and your way over. Koodo official stand according to this website http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase Excerpts pertaining to my situation... Before You Purchase What is your 15-day money back guarantee? If for some reason you're not getting the results you want, Koodo Shops and Koodo Webstore offer a 15-day money back guarantee on your phone. You'll get whatever you paid for your phone back and your Tab will be reversed - no questions asked. Within 15 days from the date of purchase, you can exchange your phone or get a refund if you’re not completely satisfied. If your usage stays within the limits below, we’ll waive your first bill. If your usage exceeds any one of these limits, you can still return or exchange your phone but you’ll be responsible for your bill. Details on reasonable usage: 30 minutes of talk time (local and/or long distance)50 text messages (incoming and outgoing)50 MB data Return your phone .....to the place of purchase. .Retail partner purchases must be returned to the location where you purchased it........ If your phone was purchased at a Retail Partner (For example: Future Shop, Wal-Mart etc.) you must return your phone to the same Retail Partner. Return policies vary by Retail Partner. FUTURE SHOP SAYS THEY FOLLOW KOODO 's policy hmmph
Userlevel 5
blawndie wrote:

Hey guys...in my opinion 50 mb data is ridiculously low he used 64mb in the first 11 min the ph...

I would be in the store right now with that page from Koodo's website literally losing it at a manager. If you talk to the right person, they'll figure it out. I think what they did to you is wrong. We do follow Koodos policy. I just think the consultant you were dealing with has no idea what the policy actually is.
blawndie wrote:

Hey guys...in my opinion 50 mb data is ridiculously low he used 64mb in the first 11 min the ph...

Lol I was dealing with GM Dave

Reply