Koodo Community

Community

Free Unlock For Existing Customers

Userlevel 2
If Im a new customer switching from a competing carrier Koodo will unlock my phone at no charge. But as an existing customer if I take in a phone to get unlocked its not free. 

As existing customers it would seem that we should have the perk as a loyalty thank you. And it would be handy if I broke my phone if I could bring in my old flip phone and get it unlocked to fill the gap until purchasing a new one

11 replies

Userlevel 3
What Koodo location will unlock your phone for free if you port over? I've never heard of any carrier doing that and I've worked in the industry for 16 years
Userlevel 2
http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/if-my-phone-is...

Dont know what location you have to go to thats^ just what it says in the Getting Started FAQ
Userlevel 5
Confusing. I've read both sides of this, as both being true, while Carriers' always advertise "bring your unlocked phone".
Userlevel 3
Oh OK, the branded Koodo shops will do it for free. That's cool. I work for a multibrand retail partner, I wonder if I called retail support if they would do it too? I'll have to ask my field Rep when I get to work
Userlevel 2
I could certainly understand something along the lines of having to agree to stay with koodo for 6 months to keep existing customers from abusing it and jumping ship after they unlock the phone for you. But if we plan on sticking with koodo then koodo would still be making money whether Im a new customer or an existing one
Userlevel 5
But why does a Koodo customer, loyal or not, need a unlocked phone?
Userlevel 2
5s wrote:

As I said in the original post it would be handy for people whose phone got broken 
Example
I have a Nokia 520 from Koodo (prepaid) and the screen got busted. I couldnt afford a new phone for about 10 days after, but did have an old Sam c414 from PCmobile. So I ended up losing 10 days of service I paid for.
 Lets face it on a $35 prepaid plan Im not gonna pay $35 for unlock so I dont lose $12 in unused plan. Especially when you can buy an unlocked flip phone at BestBuy for $9.99. 
Who doesnt want best bang for the buck
Userlevel 5
5s wrote:

It's very common for people that travel overseas to use an unlocked device so they can use local Sim cards, 
Userlevel 5
5s wrote:

sorry I didn't make myself clear. I see your point and also Spence makes for a really good point. but to Koodo $35 is $35 and I don't see Koodo giving up $35 , when like you say, you can buy unlocked for $10 +tx
Userlevel 7
You can find unlock codes for cheaper online. The only time the $35 carrier unlock is worth it is for iPhones (even the $50 one offered by everyone else is worth it). That's the only time I've used Koodo for that. Otherwise I always use cellunlocker.net, eBay, etc.
Userlevel 2
Jonathan I wrote:

You can find unlock codes for cheaper online. The only time the $35 carrier unlock is worth it is...

Yup and youd think a massive company like Telus/Koodo could at least beat the price of some online phone unlocker if unwilling to do free for existing not just new.

Id certainly be more comfortable paying Koodo than some site or guy on Ebay. Especially when a bunch want you to ship them your phone.