Koodo Community

Community

Free (but limited) calls to the Phillipines to help Filipino Canadians locate their loved ones

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The title is pretty self-explanatory. Typhoon Haiyan has caused massive devastation in the Philippines. I've heard of telco initiatives to help with aid (there was a Rogers ad on the radio this morning advertising their donation program ($5 donation) and that they'll be giving a "generous" $50,000 in relief funds (their net income for 2013 Q1-3 was over $1.4B). Side rant: a $5 donation for Canadian households with 2 or more individuals with children amounts to roughly 0.008% of their net income (vs. 0.004% that Rogers is donating - but that's for 3/4 of the year, making it even less). Telus has a similar initiative and has pledged $100,000 in relief funds. But what can Koodo as a small subsidiary offer? I think that allowing customers a small allowance of free minutes (to prevent abuse) would be nice. 10-30 minutes should suffice. There are over 600,000 Filipino Canadians. I'm sure that there are some that have family in the Philippines and may not know where they are and if they're ok. Helping them locate their loved ones would be a big deal. I'm also sure that there are a few Canadians visiting or living there and their families would like to make sure that they're alright as well. I seem to recall a similar initiative during the Alberta floods this year.

10 replies

Userlevel 4
I think this is a fantastic idea and hope to see this happen. There was someone walking around work for the last couple days pretty much stating it was mandatory for us to donate. I didn't like that one bit....
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

I think this is a fantastic idea and hope to see this happen. There was someone walking around wo...

Isn't a donation voluntary by definition? If it's mandatory, I'd call it a fee. Semantics aside, nobody should ever force you to donate.
Userlevel 4
Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:

I think this is a fantastic idea and hope to see this happen. There was someone walking around wo...

I agree
Ivan, I 100% agree with your thought. This is one of the most damaging storms to hit the Phillipines. Koodo customers should be allowed at least 50 minutes of calling to the Phillipines at no charge to ensure Canadians can connect to their loved ones over seas.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
A good idea, but trickier than offering unlimited calling to customers in the AB evacuation zones. Nowhere in the customer's account does it list their ethnicity. Regardless, I'll give this a +1.
Userlevel 6
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

A good idea, but trickier than offering unlimited calling to customers in the AB evacuation zones...

I think what Ivan is saying is that all calls to Phillipines would be free. More likely that not that you are either from there, you have family or friends still living there if you are calling that country..
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

A good idea, but trickier than offering unlimited calling to customers in the AB evacuation zones...

Yeah, I meant all calls to the Philippines.
Userlevel 6
While I'm sure we all have the greatest intention where do you guys recommend a business draws the line? What events would trigger this kind of activity? This past June over 5,000 people died in due to floods in India. No one asked for free calls to that country that I'm aware of. http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/06/24/310532/india-floods-death-toll-hits-5000/ Unfortunately the Phillipines is hit with about 8-9 typhoons in an average year. Should businesses offer free services every time it happens? No easy questions to answer I suppose. http://world.time.com/2013/11/11/the-philippines-is-the-most-storm-exposed-country-on-earth/
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chris Petersens wrote:

While I'm sure we all have the greatest intention where do you guys recommend a business draws th...

I'm not suggesting any set rules. Obviously more support is always appreciated. In all honesty, I see this as a possible charity move by Koodo without any real loss of revenue. Most of us don't usually reach for our mobile to make an international call (excluding VoIP/calling cards) - not with international rates being what they are. I'd have called for the same thing when the Indian disaster happened, had I thought about it at the time.
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

While I'm sure we all have the greatest intention where do you guys recommend a business draws th...

I hear you....that said if I look at what koodo charges to the Phillipines they already give the best rate at $0.15 per minute while virgin charges $0.30 and fido $0.45.