Koodo Community

FRAUD ALERT - Phone number stolen

• 5 September 2020
  • 21 replies

I received a text message from Koodo @ 4800 with the following message at 10:30PM off business hours: 

“Koodo: Heads-up! We just received a request to cancel a subscriber from your account and transfer the mobile phone number to another carrier. If you didn’t make this request, please call 1-844-232-7678 as soon as you can. If you requested the transfer, no action is needed. Free message from Koodo.”

My phone did not have service when I saw the message around 11PM, I used another phone to call the number and got an automated message telling me to call back during business hours. My phone number has appeared to been transferred to another carrier without my authorization. 

Need help in resolving and getting back my phone number. Looks like a scam to steal the number and to be misused by fraudsters. As most of the financial services and other social websites use the phone number to send out verification codes I am worried about my information being stolen.

I would like Koodo to have proper verification before the number gets ported and as well as 24/7 fraud department to answer customer calls, as the frequency of hackers stealing customer information has increased. 

This topic has been closed for comments

21 replies

Userlevel 7

The number is the correct number for Koodo’s porting department. I believe that they start  work on 9am.

Call them tomorrow morning and let them know that this is a fraudulent porting attempt.  Seen this before, and if caught early, porting may be stopped. Good luck stopping the fraudsters!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you call the number? 

You can also ask that they include port protection when you get your number back. 

what is the number to the porting department ?

i cannot learn much from the koodo site nor the help bot

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’d strongly urge you to change your number with every banking/credit institution that you deal with. I’ve unfortunately had to deal with this fairly recently and I know it’s not fun.

Userlevel 7

It is stated in your original message  1-844-232-7678. During the week (not sure about the weekend) they start working at 9am

oh i see that now.. that was not my original post.  i was trying to get the number due to not being able to reach a human on koodo chat.   my number was port protected hence was not able to move it to a diff provider.  i asked the chat to release it and got no satisfaction and couldn’t reach a real person,  they can schedule a callback but many hours or days later,,, big waste of time, since you cannot simply phone them  .  now my number is in a questionable state … i will likely call that number in the morning. thanks,

Userlevel 7

@ameenshahid  Could you please provide an update to the members of the community regarding your number transfer incident. You have asked and received support from community members. It will be helpful if you could share with us your findings (was this a fraudulent transfer?) and the process you went through to (hopefully) resolve this issue. Thank you

Userlevel 1

This thing happen so often with KOODO because they do not have proper rep to answer the phone. My family member had same issue which called sim-card swap scam. Hacker did not need to provide any information to Koodo for port out. They just can port out your number by contacting different carrier and ask for the port transfer. Our case was Koodo to Bell. My family member phone was disconnected and he got scammed and we had no way to protect the port. Major issue here is that Koodo never answers the fxxxing phone to protect your number. For our experience, it is almost impossible for RCMP to catch the person. Our case is closed and he got scammed around $14,000. However, we got our money back because we act right away and called pay-pal, credit card, and suppliers and told them that it was a scam. Koodo just has the most worst customer service. The scammer also can use Koodo number to contact the customers. This was verified by the KOODO when we are cancelling the account. We got 3 calls from KOODO but they told us that they do not have any history of calling us even though it was KOODO customer service number. 

Userlevel 7

There is absolutely no excuse for koodo not protecting its customers against illegal number porting, especially when it is associated with compromising of customers sensitive data. Other providers, like my previous mobile provider, have a dedicated security/verification team that has to verify, with the owner of the account, that the transfer request was initiated by him/her. The number will NEVER be ported out without the verification team approval. Being a 2nd tier mobile provider must not permit koodo to provide its customers with a 2nd class security protection.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There is absolutely no excuse for koodo not protecting its customers against illegal number porting, especially when it is associated with compromising of customers sensitive data. Other providers, like my previous mobile provider, have a dedicated security/verification team that has to verify, with the owner of the account, that the transfer request was initiated by him/her. The number will NEVER be ported out without the verification team approval. Being a 2nd tier mobile provider must not permit koodo to provide its customers with a 2nd class security protection.

Were your previous carrier Rogers? . I checked quickly their forum and found this https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Scam-Phishing-Fraud-Discussions/Port-Validation-Security-Measures/td-p/445715/page/13

It seems the Text verification didn't always work with Rogers (the last few posts mentioned that). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@DAvid86 you opened a thread about a porting scam here (1 month ago) https://community.koodomobile.com/other-80596/sim-card-swap-7799113

The rep mentioned that Koodo can't find your Koodo account with Koodo with the email in thr forum and asked you contact them directly. How was the conversation? Did you have the answer you need? 

Userlevel 7

@Dinh Yes, Rogers was my previous provider. I got on the phone as soon as I got a message about a request to change the password on my Rogers account. It took me 5 minutes to speak to a live agent who transferred me to their security department. I was on the phone with them and got step-by-step real time reports about their findings and recovery efforts. By the end of the very, very long phone conversation my account was restored, the porting was reversed and a block has been placed on my line. That’s the kind of support I hoped to get, and that’s what they delivered. No system is full proof, especially when you delay the portout reversal, but koodo port out protection seems to be lacking, based on the tip of the iceberg that the community reports.  If the breach  would include compromising any of my credit information, I will make sure that koodo will take care of my Identity Theft Protection and Credit Monitoring and for financial compensation for transactions that cannot be reversed. Thank you for the link!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

@Dinh Yes, Rogers was my previous provider. I got on the phone as soon as I got a message about a request to change the password on my Rogers account. It took me 5 minutes to speak to a live agent who transferred me to their security department. I was on the phone with them and got step-by-step real time reports about their findings and recovery efforts. By the end of the very, very long phone conversation my account was restored, the porting was reversed and a block has been placed on my line. That’s the kind of support I hoped to get, and that’s what they delivered. No system is full proof, especially when you delay the portout reversal, but koodo port out protection seems to be lacking, based on the tip of the iceberg that the community reports.  If the breach  would include compromising any of my credit information, I will make sure that koodo will take care of my Identity Theft Protection and Credit Monitoring and for financial compensation for transactions that cannot be reversed. Thank you for the link!

I my own opinion, you are expecting too much from Koodo and mix things together.

Re customer service, Koodo doesn’t compete with Rogers. It compete with Fido/Virgin Mobile. Telus compete with Rogers and you can expect the level of customer support like that with Telus. I think Koodo made clear about it and they didn’t hide it. Customers know and let them choose to stay or not.

Re porting, it seems the hackers can avoid the text verification process. A rep mentioned they are working on that issue industry wide and implement something in the near future... So stay tune. Porting has been always easy because the “overlord” CRTC told all carriers to make it easy https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm You can call CRTC and complain also.

Re Theft Protection and Credit monitoring, Koodo doesn’t provide any service for it. It does it job of providing cellular services only (with some limited security protection). You would have to protect yourself, unfortunately.

Userlevel 7

I joined koodo knowing that I do not need the same level of customer support I received at Rogers. Keeping my sensitive information safe IS koodo’s responsibility, regardless of the fact that they are a tier 2 provider. If my credit information is compromised because of koodo’s proven negligence, I expect, and will get the above noted protection, monitoring and compensation as appropriate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I joined koodo knowing that I do not need the same level of customer support I received at Rogers. Keeping my sensitive information safe IS koodo’s responsibility, regardless of the fact that they are a tier 2 provider. If my credit information is compromised because of koodo’s proven negligence, I expect, and will get the above noted protection, monitoring and compensation as appropriate. 

I believe their customer support system follows industry standard. They do have a number if you would like to call regarding privacy protection though https://www.koodomobile.com/legal However, if you asked them to monitor your credit score and protect you from theft (theft with paypal and other financial institution that you used Koodo number to register - edited (just try to avoid confusion)), it is going beyond their duty.

There was a breach last year, they noticed customers and provided some extra protection for those https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/03/06/koodo-data-breach-account-phone-numbers/ you could check out that link and see what they did in case of a security breach happened.

Userlevel 7

Thank you for the information. Regarding the post-breach compensation, I currently under a (post breach) 2 year Identity Theft Protection and Credit Monitoring (provided by a 3rd party, paid by the breached party) because of my sensitive personal data breach, so I do have first hand understanding of the consequence of somebody compromising my personal data. Enough with that and thank you again for the informative legal and the 2017 koodo data breach incident.

Userlevel 1

@DAvid86 you opened a thread about a porting scam here (1 month ago) https://community.koodomobile.com/other-80596/sim-card-swap-7799113

The rep mentioned that Koodo can't find your Koodo account with Koodo with the email in thr forum and asked you contact them directly. How was the conversation? Did you have the answer you need? 

We solve the issue in our own way. We contact RCMP, Credit Card, Supplier and stop the shipment going to the scammer. However, the fact that I really do not understand is that how can we protect  our port since KOODO never answers the phone. Also how can scammer use KOODO numbers to contact the customers. We were using 4 numbers from KOODO and we already move 3 numbers to other company except one. One number also will be transfer to other company after the 2 year contract.  What is the point of texting the customer about port transfer, if the company decide not to answer the phone.  If Koodo decide to port out the number with out customer’s permission at least KOODO need to have proper department for port transfer who can answer the phone. I am not expecting lots from KOODO however, the system right now does not allow the customers to protect their own port. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We solve the issue in our own way. We contact RCMP, Credit Card, Supplier and stop the shipment going to the scammer. However, the fact that I really do not understand is that how can we protect  our port since KOODO never answers the phone. Also how can scammer use KOODO numbers to contact the customers. We were using 4 numbers from KOODO and we already move 3 numbers to other company except one. One number also will be transfer to other company after the 2 year contract.  What is the point of texting the customer about port transfer, if the company decide not to answer the phone.  If Koodo decide to port out the number with out customer’s permission at least KOODO need to have proper department for port transfer who can answer the phone. I am not expecting lots from KOODO however, the system right now does not allow the customers to protect their own port. 

Their port team did answer the phone during working hours (not 24/7 as everyone hopes).

My question for you is: do you expect Koodo have the “full responsibility” to protect your money in Paypal account or any financial  institution?

Also, can you share the detail of how did the hacker manage to hack a paypal account with a phone number? I am a paypal user myself, I wonder what should I do to protect mine besides port protection.

Userlevel 1

Their port team did answer the phone during working hours (not 24/7 as everyone hopes).

My question for you is: do you expect Koodo to protect your money in Paypal account or any financial  institution?

Also, can you share the detail of how did the hacker manage to hack the paypal with the phone number? I am a paypal user myself, I wonder what should I do to protect mine besides port protection.

I am not saying KOODO to protect my money. Only thing I am hoping for KOODO to answer the phone to protect my own port. There will be no scam if we could protect our port right away. I can not state all the info here how the scammer get you paypal account.  I only can say briefly is that they can get the authenticate code through your number. People usually save credit card info in the Pay-pal. Only advice I can make is that do not save any credit card info in online store such as Pay-Pal and Amazon. 

Userlevel 7

One last comment from me. Telus defense in the 2017 data breach case https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/03/06/koodo-data-breach-account-phone-numbers/  was that they did everything they could do within a reasonable time. Koodo most probably, will have a hard time using this defense with their current level of ‘live’ support.  Applying  a strict port out protection  policy (with port out verification) to all customers, is the minimum that koodo must do to limit its liability and protect its customers.  That’s it from me. I promise!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

One last comment from me. Telus defense in the 2017 data breach case https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/03/06/koodo-data-breach-account-phone-numbers/  was that they did everything they could do within a reasonable time. Koodo most probably, will have a hard time using this defense with their current level of ‘live’ support.  Applying  a strict port out protection  policy (with port out verification) to all customers, is the minimum that koodo must do to limit its liability and protect its customers.  That’s it from me. I promise!

I was told they are working on it. Stay tuned for some update in the near future.