Koodo Community
Solved

FM Radio With Samsung A71

• 18 November 2020
  • 12 replies

My question is this, will the Koodo Samsung A51 give me FM radio simply by plugging in my wired earphones?

I see a similar question posed previously, but related to “NextRadio”
I’m only interested in a phone that connects to FM radio when using wired earphones and no data. The Specs on the A71 seem to indicate it has that capability but it seems that not all carriers enable it.

icon

Best answer by rikkster 18 November 2020, 20:30

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

I meant Samsung A71

Badge +4

While several sites report that the Samsung Galaxy A71 supports FM radio, I could not find any information in the phones’ user manual. I checked the A71’s specs through Samsung’s Canadian website and there is no mention of FM radio. It’s possible that FM radio is available to regions other than Canada. If needed, the model number for this phone is SM-A715W.

Samsung Canada A71 Specifications - (click on the Spec tab)

While several sites report that the Samsung Galaxy A71 supports FM radio, I could not find any information in the phones’ user manual. I checked the A71’s specs through Samsung’s Canadian website and there is no mention of FM radio. It’s possible that FM radio is available to regions other than Canada. If needed, the model number for this phone is SM-A715W.

Samsung Canada A71 Specifications - (click on the Spec tab)

Thanks, Rikkster. Much appreciated. It’s interesting as Virgin Mobility tells me their version has the FM Radio enabled. I’d rather stay with Koodo, but the FM radio is necessary in my circumstance.

Badge +4

Thanks, Rikkster. Much appreciated. It’s interesting as Virgin Mobility tells me their version has the FM Radio enabled. I’d rather stay with Koodo, but the FM radio is necessary in my circumstance.

GSMArena also mentions that the A71 has FM radio.

https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a71-9995.php

The LG G8x ThinQ may be of interest. It has FM radio that doesn’t rely on NextRadio, Wi-Fi or mobile data. Audio can be routed to play through the phone’s internal speaker or an external speaker when a wired headphone or auxiliary cable is plugged into the phones’ 3.5mm headphone jack. 

LG G8X ThinQ

Thanks again, Rikkster. I appreciate you taking the time with this.

I've seen the info on GSMArena which is what got my interest in the A71 started as it should provide FM without data connections.

I currently have an LGG6 ThinQ that allows me to use FM directly without any data connection. Perhaps the LGG8X ThinQ does the same. I wonder if there's a difference whether it's in Canada or elsewhere?

Badge +4

Thanks again, Rikkster. I appreciate you taking the time with this.

I've seen the info on GSMArena which is what got my interest in the A71 started as it should provide FM without data connections.

I currently have an LGG6 ThinQ that allows me to use FM directly without any data connection. Perhaps the LGG8X ThinQ does the same. I wonder if there's a difference whether it's in Canada or elsewhere?

You’re welcome, Norm. I have the LG G8x ThinQ and I can confirm FM radio works flawlessly. LG seems to be one of the few manufacturers that still includes FM radio in most of their smartphones. I say ‘most’ because the LG Velvet shows that FM radio is market/region dependent on GSMArena.

GSMArena Comparison

Just out of curiosity, Rikkster, do you have the single screen or dual screen LG G8X ThinQ?

Do you think the camera compares well with other brands?

Rikkster, did you upgrade your LGG8X to Android 10?

Hi Rikkster.

I’m getting emails with your responses but for some reason they’re not showing up on this thread for me. Thanks again for your time and thoughtful responses.

Badge +4

You’re welcome, Norm. The system is a little finicky and won't allow me to post certain links. I’m glad you were able to receive most of the content and thank you for confirming receipt of my responses.

Yes, the Canadian-model Galaxy A71 (SM-A715W) does have a working FM radio module.  Just tested it and I was able to tune in with Next Radio (haven’t tried with the Samsung Radio app).

Yes, the Canadian-model Galaxy A71 (SM-A715W) does have a working FM radio module.  Just tested it and I was able to tune in with Next Radio (haven’t tried with the Samsung Radio app).

Thanks, bender. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.