Koodo Community

Community

Solved

flip phones gone after February?

Does anyone know where to find information on this? I can't seem to find a confirmation anywhere on this site about this. I heard that the flip phone's will not be operational via Koodo after end of February 2014, is this true?

10 replies

Userlevel 2
This is not true.
Userlevel 6
Apparently Telus is/will be starting to shut down their CDMA networks this year, so if your flip phone uses the CDMA network, then yes it will no longer work.
Userlevel 2
John Burke wrote:

Apparently Telus is/will be starting to shut down their CDMA networks this year, so if your flip ...

According to http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/10/17/telus-aims-to-shut-down-its-cdma-network-in-2015/ Telus is shutting down the CDMA data portion this year. The remaining CDMA services will be shutdown in 2015. So unless you use data services with your flip phone, then your flip phone is good at least until 2015.
John Burke wrote:

Apparently Telus is/will be starting to shut down their CDMA networks this year, so if your flip ...

thank you
Userlevel 7
John Burke wrote:

I wish they wouldn't use such a general terms as flip phone since not all flip phones Use CDMA. Basically if your phone has a sim card you're okay. If it doesn't then you should look into upgrading.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Burke wrote:

My father-in-law's Koodo cell is an LG flip which is a GSM model. This would confuse the hell out of him.
John Burke wrote:

lol, yes it did me too, not sure what CDMA is, but I got the jist of the rest of it, lol. not sure either if I have Telus, I pay Koodo, not Telus.
Userlevel 7
John Burke wrote:

Koodo is owned and operated by Telus. So if Telus shuts down the CDMA network then Koodo CDMA phones will no longer function. But as stated, if your phone has a sim card, nothing to worry about.
John Burke wrote:

CDMA was the network type that predated 3G/HSPA/sim card networks.
is telus/koodo retarded? if they do, they will loose lots of users in northern/southern Manitoba even my services since i use both, when i go south i swap phones.