Koodo Community

Community

Solved

False claim

Userlevel 1
i wanted to get a phone on Koodo, it was a Fido, the Koodo rep on the phone said i could not, why did he not tell me about unlockin??. I have also seen Koodo advertise you can bring your phone over??? doesnt seem to be true??

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Well that's how it works. A phone that is purchased from a carrier is locked to that carrier unless it's a Nexus phone. You will have to unlock it first and make sure it supports either HSPA 850 or 1900 frequency before you can use it with Koodo.
Userlevel 1
I know how it works, but your adds and people don't tell people that, just looked on koodo plans and at the top of the page it says bring your phone over for 10%off, no mention of unlocking. Read carefully my first post. Your rep said i could not use a Fido phone, he did not tell me about unlocking. I think if you offer that you should provide unlock codes.
Userlevel 2
John Zarubiak wrote:

I know how it works, but your adds and people don't tell people that, just looked on koodo plans ...

Koodo will unlock their own phones. Koodo will NOT unlock another carrier's phone. Probably because they do not have access to the codes from another carrier. Given that, the rep likely didn't mention the possibility of unlocking because it cannot be done by Koodo -- only by Fido (or an 3rd-party unlocking service). And then, Fido may place restrictions on who and when the unlock codes will be given. There is a lot of uncertainty that the rep cannot reliably give you information that he/she does not know or have. However, the rep did not deceive you. You cannot use a Fido phone on Koodo unless it is unlocked -- and even then, the Fido phone must support the operating frequencies Koodo uses. The rep may not have been comfortable or about such matters to speak about it. It's not reasonable to expect a Koodo rep to know about Fido phones.
Userlevel 1
for as long as I've been with Koodo my phones seem to act up after a year this is why I am looking at getting a different phone from a different company
Userlevel 1
John Zarubiak wrote:

for as long as I've been with Koodo my phones seem to act up after a year this is why I am lookin...

I have a samsung galaxy s2 and when I was looking for a different phone case all of the places could not supply one they said my phone was a European style looks like cuddle gets cheaper phones I'm not the standard ones on the market
Userlevel 6
John Zarubiak wrote:

for as long as I've been with Koodo my phones seem to act up after a year this is why I am lookin...

John, right on the first page for koodo it states that you need to have the phone unlocked. Look at the bottom of the page. It's pretty massive. 🙂 http://koodomobile.com/en/bc/index.shtml
Userlevel 1
John Zarubiak wrote:

it depends what page you're looking at what about the rep not letting me know this all he said was to buy a phone from Koodo I have been with Koodo for a while and the phones only last about a year I have a phone I only use for 2 months and had to replace it because there was poor service in the area
Userlevel 6
John Zarubiak wrote:

Fair enough John....and yo are right on the plan pages the word 'unlock' is missing from the sentence, so I can see how it could be confusing.
Userlevel 6
John Zarubiak wrote:

Looks like the rep was right after all, as per Timo below, and you can't use that phone locked or unlocked. That said the website can still benefit from a little touch up.
Userlevel 1
John Zarubiak wrote:

Is that all of your goal to prove people wrong good job, maybe 2g is the way to go, do you's know what 2g, 3g, is.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
John Zarubiak wrote:

2g is the term used to describe the second generation (digital) cellular network, as opposed to the even older 1G (analog) network. While 2g networks work well enough for voice service, they offer theoretical maximum data transfer rates of roughly 250 kbps, as opposed to the roughly 14.4 Mbps down/5.76 Mbps up offered by Koodo's 3G HSPA network. Suggesting that "maybe 2G is the way to go" is roughly equivalent to saying that dial-up is better than high speed internet. If you feel a pressing need to experience the superiority of outdated technology though, feel free to switch to Rogers. As previously stated, they are the only provider in Canada who operates a 2G network, and no other provider is going to build a new network using technology that was outdated 10 years ago.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1. Cell phone providers only provide unlock codes for devices that they sell. 2. What phone were you trying to bring over from Fido? Several Rogers/Fido phones are 2G only, since Rogers is the only company in Canada with a 2G network. A 2G only phone will never work with Koodo whether it is unlocked or not.
Userlevel 1
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

1. Cell phone providers only provide unlock codes for devices that they sell. 2. What phone we...

it was a refurbished blackberry 8820
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

1. Cell phone providers only provide unlock codes for devices that they sell. 2. What phone we...

The blackberry 8820 is a 2G only phone. It will only work with Rogers/Fido. It will never work with Koodo whether it is unlocked or not. The agent you spoke to was absolutely correct.
Userlevel 7
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Virtual star
Userlevel 6
John, you can also use this tool from Koodo on their website: http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/sim-cards-and-non-koodo-phones/how-do-i-know-if-my-phone-will-work-on-the-koodo-network Using your phone's IMEI (basically, a unique identification number) it will tell you if your phone is compatible with Koodo's network or not. Please note though, that even though a phone may be compatible, it still needs to be unlocked first. Some phones are factory unlocked. iPhones bought straight from Apple are, for example, as well as the Nexus series from Google.