Koodo Community

Community

Solved

extra data charges

I have the talk & text 25 plan and only turn on data to send and receive pictures. How is it that I can get charged $5 for using 0.028 MB (unintentionally)?

20 replies

Userlevel 2
Because your phone used over 25KB of data, which resulted in the pay per use data saver being brought into effect.
Userlevel 6
If Apps are updating in the background while you're doing Picture Messages, that's where the Data usage is coming from. To avoid this, I'd recommend you turn 3G Data on only when connected to Wi-Fi.
John Burke wrote:

If Apps are updating in the background while you're doing Picture Messages, that's where the Data...

I only ever turn the data on to send and receive pictures.
Userlevel 2
John Burke wrote:

If Apps are updating in the background while you're doing Picture Messages, that's where the Data...

Even during that time, applications can connect, which will result in data usage.
John Burke wrote:

so what you're saying is: if I only have talk & text, I simply cannot send/receive picture messages without being slammed with this ridiculously large fee for <1mb of data?
Userlevel 5
John Burke wrote:

That's basically correct, unless you can ensure your apps are not going to auto update when you connect to data.
Userlevel 2
John Burke wrote:

You can be connected to Wifi & mobile data to avoid app usage done on mobile data.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kelly, I agree that 25KB it is not a 21st Century amount of data to get for free 🙂 If I remember correctly, there was a suggestion once to up that to 5MB or even 10... Timo, didn't you suggest that? I really hope Koodo will implement that suggestion!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sophia wrote:

Kelly, I agree that 25KB it is not a 21st Century amount of data to get for free 🙂 If I remember...

No response from Koodo yet http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/waived_or_per_kb_mb_rate_before_the_5_data_saver_kicks_in
Userlevel 2
Sophia wrote:

Kelly, I agree that 25KB it is not a 21st Century amount of data to get for free 🙂 If I remember...

Probably because there's no plan to implement it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kelly. I recommend giving them a call. It's going to be worth it. I can tell you!
Userlevel 5
Robert wrote:

Kelly. I recommend giving them a call. It's going to be worth it. I can tell you!

Kelly's post was from a month ago. There was some new comments above.
Robert wrote:

The same thing happened to me... I got charged $5 just to send/receive 3 picture messages! I always keep data turned off except if I want to send or receive pics. Finally I figured out that the pic messages were free but saw that *other* data had been used by "Android." I found a place in "settings" on my LG phone that allows you to "turn off background data". I have NOW set that to OFF and hopefully that will fix the problem when I turn ON the other data switch anytime I want to send/get pic messages...
Userlevel 2
Robert wrote:

You did not get charged data for sending/receiving pictures. You got charged $5 because apps on your phone used more than 25kb of data.
Userlevel 1
This has been going on with my phone for months now. I have talk and text and use wireless hotspots. I even have the Internet APn changed so I dont accidently use data. Yet somehow I have between 500-800 kb used a month, which of course is $5 I refuse to have data turned off, as this stops the unlimited MMS they advertise. I dont want to worry about wireless everytime I text. Why cant koodo fix this, or is this a money grab. 800kb, really??? That isnt data use. and their tech support cant help me saying the pnly way is to block data
Userlevel 7
This is an unfortunate side effect of how HSPA networks operate because the billing system is automated. It can't tell what's unintentional data use (apps updating, etc.) or not. Only certain phones can edit the APNs manually so it's a tough spot to be in. I second the recommendation to increase the "free" data up to 5 or 10 MB to avoid this but they still aren't budging.
Userlevel 1
Mine the APN is edited, I did it the day I got the phone, and its been great for 9 months. I know its an app on Android, but what. My Windows 8 phone, no extra data ever, its edited, done deal. I wish I could find the app that does it, but every app that can be delted is off the phone, as my wife talks and texts thats it. I agree about the free data thing to go with this. Reading many replies on this community its happening a lot, have a grace of 5 MB or something.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No Way wrote:

Mine the APN is edited, I did it the day I got the phone, and its been great for 9 months. I kno...

I agree they should increase the free data amount. This is a link to the idea that "Under consideration"...I hope this will be implemented soon. http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/increase_free_data under_ppu_data_saver_to_2_mb
Userlevel 1
No Way wrote:

Mine the APN is edited, I did it the day I got the phone, and its been great for 9 months. I kno...

That would be nice. Getting tired of playing roulette every time their bill comes in the mail.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No Way wrote:

Sorry, the link above didn't work... Here is a working one 🙂 http://community.koodomobile.com/koodo/topics/increase_free_data_under_ppu_data_saver_to_2_mb