Koodo Community

Community

Does Koodo support the senior oriented phone Doro 824 SmartEasy?

I am looking to get my senior parents a senior-friendly phone. They are currently on Telus in Northern Alberta. I like the Doro 824 SmartEasy, but it is only offered through Bell. Is it an option to buy the phone separately and then bring it to Koodo? If so, what is a good plan for a couple who phone within Canada quite often and are learning to text? My mother thinks prepaid is a good way to go, but has asked me to look into it. Here's the specs for the Doro: 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
It should. 🙂

According to the Spec sheet you provided, Koodo Supports this device.
Thank you! Are there any known issues with the Doro and Koodo in terms of reliable coverage? 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Gerry wrote:

Thank you! Are there any known issues with the Doro and Koodo in terms of reliable coverage? 

Koodo would have the same coverage as Telus and Bell. Different phones have different reception, so it is not really possible to give a firm answer until the phone is in your hands.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Just to add after looking at that phone its just a Android phone with a custom Launcher from the looks of it. You can actually get any phone and download a 3rd party Launcher such as Big Launcher that gives basically the same experience and it may be cheaper and or more reliable especially being able to purchase it on a tab with koodo if you would wish to.
Most Android phones come with a somewhat senior Freddy Launcher option built in like the Samsung's have an easy home option that give large basic icons or even LG has an easy home option that does the same. Here's just one of the Homescreens on LG's easy home that allows for large picture dialing. Samsungs seems to be the best built in option however IMO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Here's a link to big Launcher in the playstore and one of the many options for Launcher layouts available with the download on any Android phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/de...

Thank you! That's so useful. I'll take a look and see if the dial pad is big enough. My dad has very large hands and he simply can't use the buttons in a normal layout. 

Many thanks to all who answered my question. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
And for the plan, if your parent talk a lot(more than 8 hours per month), then they have $40/mo included unlimited Canada wide minutes and texts. If it's less than about 8hours, they have $15/mo base plan(unlimited texts) and buy a Canada wide talk booster $25 for 500 minutes. Unused booster will carry over to next month if you renew your plan.
Great info! My parents like a good chat on the phone, so the $40 is probably a good option.