Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Does Koodo give out your mobile number to 3rd parties?

Just wondering because I'm getting CibcMobileAlerts suddenly and I've never banked with Cibc. Strange!

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No, Koodo doesn't, Peter. Guaranteed 🙂
Thanks, didn't think so but odd why I'm getting their alerts.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Peter wrote:

Thanks, didn't think so but odd why I'm getting their alerts.

Maybe somebody signed up and accidentally entered the wrong phone number?
I rec'd CIBC mobile text alert yesterday. I believe this is one of the scams/phishing tricks...text said account restricted to click on link. Don't click the link as they are looking for personal information. Am checking with CIBC to ensure this is a scam but seems similar emails going out to their clients as well. Makes me wonder how good the CIBC security is. Also makes me wonder how my cell number got out as I don't make calls and usually just text family/friends. Don't play apps on phone. Very suspicious on whether Koodo has a leak, or CIBC open to customers info being accessible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Sandy Jamieson wrote:

I rec'd CIBC mobile text alert yesterday. I believe this is one of the scams/phishing tricks...t...

It's more likely that spammers text to random Canadian numbers, Sandy. On my previous number I got spam texts as well, but ever since I changed it stopped altogether. I have had this number for a year now so I'm sure it's not a leak at Koodo. Thanks for the heads up on the scam though, you can't be too careful these days! I never open any links sent to me, and never give personal information over the phone, not even my name.
Userlevel 1
Hey everyone, thanks for visiting us in the Koodo Community! We'd never share your personal account info with anyone, the texts that you've been receiving are from spammers. They send messages to random numbers so customers from other cell phone companies also receive them. You're all doing the right thing by ignoring the messages and not clicking on the links. If you're noticing that the texts are coming from a specific number, your cell may be able to block them with an app found in Blackberry World or Google Play.