Koodo Community

Community

Solved

DEACTIVATED PHONE STILL HAS SERVICE 1.5 YEARS LATER

Hi there! I was cleaning my room the other day and came across my old phone (LG BANTER) that I had deactivated 1.5 years ago when I upgraded to an iPhone (same#). Just for fun I charged it and turned it on. Insanely, I have a full 5 bars of cell service. Does anyone know how/why this could be? I am too scared of huge charges if I experiment text or call.. But might give in and try soon. Thanks for your responses in advance!

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi Dani... But did you try to call or send a Text? Is your account still active with Koodo? I tried the other day my OLD Cellphone (Samsung that I had with PC Mobile) and I got full signal bars too, but it could only be used for emergency calls... Since your are talking about an old Cell, most likely is a phone without simcard (CDMA) and probably is the same scenario... Check your bill to see if your being charged, if not, no worries...
Userlevel 1
You won't be charged any additional charges on your CDMA phone because you uppgraded to HSPA technology. 2 different technology, your number will only work with one technology
Same for me ......i had an old phone with Rogers on which the service was discontinued and i was getting full signal but i was not able to place call or send text. So in my opinion you should not have any charge.
Thanks everyone for the quick reply. So if I were to give this phone to my grandparents in case of absolute emergencies (them falling down or something) would they be able to call 911? Any ideas what kind of charges would apply?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DaniRoseSchlehahn wrote:

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. So if I were to give this phone to my grandparents in case o...

Dani, as the posters below said, yes certainly you can give it to your grandparents for emergency 911 calls... but I personally would recommend a "real" phone. You can get a SpeakOut (7-11) phone for peanuts, and you only need to top it up with $25 once a year. In case of a less urgent emergency they could also call the family directly 🙂 Mind you, in my experience elderly people can be terrified of cell phones and will probably put it deep down in a drawer, making sure the battery is well and truly empty... 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
DaniRoseSchlehahn wrote:

Thanks everyone for the quick reply. So if I were to give this phone to my grandparents in case o...

Sophia makes a good point. But depending on the phone and the comfort your grandparents have with cell tech, some of the older keypad phones, you can lock the screen so you cant do anything with the phone and still dial 911. This might ease some of the complications with a cell phone. It will also help if the cell phone is always plugged in and tethered to the outlet so the phone is always on and charged. Like on a stand at the bottom of the stairs or in the kitchen
yes the would be able to call 911 for no cost , since there is no service on the phone. It is kind of totaly free call.
Actually I use my old one as a backup on trips for 911. Haven't had to use it: knock on wood
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
All phones are capable of dialing 911 even without service.(as long as they are charged) 😃
Userlevel 5
Mayumi wrote:

All phones are capable of dialing 911 even without service.(as long as they are charged) :D

And as long as they can connect to a tower somewhere. Although Ive heard that with 911 calls a phone will try harder to connect even in low service areas.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mayumi wrote:

All phones are capable of dialing 911 even without service.(as long as they are charged) :D

I should say..."even without service provider" Thanks 🙂