Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Data Usage , just doesnt seem right.

So tonight I was downloading a bit torrent, i left my house to head to work forgot about my movie and i went over data.. it was only 10 $ over so big deal, anyhow it was my last billing day on my cycle. Now my data usage on koodo self serve web site says im 2400mb / 3072 mb .. in less than 2 hours.. only by watching a movie .. it just doesnt sound right. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply with youre opinion. I on a good month hardly reach 3gb of data and i reached 75% of it in just 1 hour 35 minutes of a movie? I just dont think it adds up,

10 replies

Data usage is pretty spot on when it comes to data. There is no way to download more than your actual usage. Watching a movie and downloading tend to be 2 different things, so it all depends, were you streaming the movie, or watching what you downloaded?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robski808 wrote:

Data usage is pretty spot on when it comes to data. There is no way to download more than your a...

Streaming and downloading consume the same amount of data your just watching as its downloading or your downloading the entire file and watching it later. If it was an HD movie than it can very easily be over a GB for a single movie and sometimes over 2gb. Your best to try to download movies over a wifi connection unless you can spare the cash by using your data.
Robski808 wrote:

Data usage is pretty spot on when it comes to data. There is no way to download more than your a...

Watching what i downloaded. Its maxed again, midnight was my cycle end and i am now on wifi even.. ? Im totally lost on this . Its bs. I mean its my own fault im not gonna complain to koodo over it. Hard lesson learned just diddnt realise watching what i downloaded would even kill the data so quickly. Thank you both for youre replies.
Userlevel 7
Robski808 wrote:

Once it's downloaded it won't use more data... but yeah, an HD movie can easily take up up to 2GB.
Userlevel 6
Why don't you just download in wi-fi?
Chris Petersens wrote:

I clearly stated i was on my way out the door going to work and forgot?
Userlevel 6
Chris Petersens wrote:

Oh...you mean you had it on wi-fi, walked out of your house and the network took over. Got it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm trying to see what exactly might have happened. How big was the torrent exactly? Maybe your data hasn't be reseted yet?
Robert wrote:

I'm trying to see what exactly might have happened. How big was the torrent exactly? Maybe your d...

2.2 gb , it was roughly like 68% when i left. It was weird cause at 12 midnight it shoulda reset and im getting charged 10$ for over used data when possibly it shoulda reset? I dont know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

I'm trying to see what exactly might have happened. How big was the torrent exactly? Maybe your d...

But it all depends on what time zone it gets reseted. If the movie is 2.2gb and you've been charged overage THEN, it makes no sense that you have 2GB downloaded on your new month. Please check your detailed usage data (on self-serve) in order to understand what happened