Koodo Community
Question

Data Gulp Event

• 26 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I have a modest $50 - 10GB data plan that I use for Google Maps and sparingly for podcasts and the occasional video. I am used to Youtube’s appetite that can run over 1GB/hr with higher resolution, but was blown away by an event on Friday  that consumed 8.5GB in less than an hour. I did not even think that was possible, since the data bandwidth is so limited on cell phones; particularly with Koodo and other economy plans. I did bring up the Koodo Support app that shows  individual data streams and it does show as 8.5 GB followed by a smaller stream 2 hours later, so somehow my phone consumed that amount within that time frame (actually less than an hour IIRC). Does anyone understand how this could happen? What I thought that I knew seemed shattered by this happening, and the associated cost that this incurred. I did photos of the Android Koodo app screen that could shown if that helps.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Go to your settings and look at the data usage there. It should break it down by app. Which one shows as using it all?

Something like an update or a large download could use 8.5GB within an hour or so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a modest $50 - 10GB data plan that I use for Google Maps and sparingly for podcasts and the occasional video. I am used to Youtube’s appetite that can run over 1GB/hr with higher resolution, but was blown away by an event on Friday  that consumed 8.5GB in less than an hour. I did not even think that was possible, since the data bandwidth is so limited on cell phones; particularly with Koodo and other economy plans. I did bring up the Koodo Support app that shows  individual data streams and it does show as 8.5 GB followed by a smaller stream 2 hours later, so somehow my phone consumed that amount within that time frame (actually less than an hour IIRC). Does anyone understand how this could happen? What I thought that I knew seemed shattered by this happening, and the associated cost that this incurred. I did photos of the Android Koodo app screen that could shown if that helps.

Are you watching the videos in 4K resolution? It does normally use around 7.5GB per hour. https://www.androidcentral.com/how-much-data-does-streaming-media-use