Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Data downloading without my knowledge???

How can I be using data when i'm not even using my phone. I have just looked at my data usage and am astonished that I have used data today at approx 11.30 when I haven't even had my phone with me. I left it at home. Can you explain why I am getting charged during the month when I rarely use my data package.

8 replies

Hi Sharon, Assuming you have a data enabled smartphone, unless you have disabled your data , either directly on the device, or by visiting your self serve Koodo account and turning it off there, and unless you have customized your applications by not allowing the access to mobile data or restricting your apps to wifi only access, the many apps on your phone require data to keep updated. For example, if you have a weather widget on your screen that keeps you posted with current weather based on your location, there is a small amount of data being used or required. It doesn't really matter if you leave it at home or not, unless you have the wifi on, then mobile data is being used. If you don't want data usage, or wastage. and you do leave your phone at home , it might be a good idea to just turn off the data on the phone, while you leave it at home. It'll give you longer battery life too. Do you know how to do that?
justin wrote:

Hi Sharon, Assuming you have a data enabled smartphone, unless you have disabled your data , ...

On the Phone, if you visit > Settings> Apps or applications> , you should be able to see what applications you have, what is running, and you can touch each one to control them Essentially, you can turn the apps that you don't want running, off. Or you can delete them. Safer to just stop them as you can turn them back on again if need be. Just be careful not to delete any essential android apps that are required for proper operation of the core phone functions,
On my phone I have to explicitly turn on data location services and such for that to happen. Maybe one of your settings has changed or weather added to your screensaver or ...
Danno wrote:

On my phone I have to explicitly turn on data location services and such for that to happen. May...

Mine is the same, I use my wifi at home for the apps, when I'm not at home most places I go to (McDee, Tim Horton's) have free wifi and I pop on there if need be. I have a slide down menu at the top where I can disable or enable my data, wifi, bt, ect without having to go through the settings icon.
Userlevel 5
Hey Sharon 🙂 Some applications that uses data were probably running in the background. Keep in mind that you can disable data from your device when you do not want to use it. I suggest to use this secure link: http://koo.do/10znFdG to email us. Please log into your Self Serve when it is requested, we will be able to take a look at your account and help you with this. Thanks
I downloaded a widget that enables me to turn data off and on from my home screen with one touch. I only turn it on when I absolutely need it.
may be you have some apps that connect automatically to net, like the mail and some BB apps.
Userlevel 7
Issa Barmawi wrote:

may be you have some apps that connect automatically to net, like the mail and some BB apps.

That was mentioned before. It's best to read the replies first before you post, Issa.