Koodo Community
Solved

Data

Im a new koodo costumer, apparently I have 10 days free trial of unlimited data? I'm in my 9th day and i just found this out via google. The koodo associate did not tell me anything about this. I even went back to ask them why my koodo self serve app shows 0 mb of data used when I have been using data here and there and they replied "give it time, it will update", so far not happy with koodo customer service

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
1. No there is not officially a 10 day trial of free unlimited data. 2. I think data usage does not show/update during partial billing periods which is what this is if you just signed up. It will registers once your start a full billing period
Userlevel 6
my data usually doesn't usually show up on the Self Serve app for a couple days. I would keep an eye on the data usage in your phone so you have an idea how much you've used. Just keep in mind that said chart is not "official" and can NOT be used to contest data charges with Koodo
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
The 10 day trial for newbies is designed to let them try out whatever they want without falling off their chair when the bill comes in. The most prudent way to use this trial period is to use the phone the way you intend to normally to give yourself a baseline of what your typical consumption will be. You can then adjust your plan accordingly so that you're not always on the edge or overpaying on a regular basis. Most recent Android phones have a Data Usage graph available in your basic settings that will give you what the phone thinks it's seeing, so it's not rocket science to get a feel. Keep in mind that 1 gig may seem like a lot, but plenty of home wired internet plans comes with 200 gig of data to accommodate a lot of video streaming. Video on phone is a lot less demanding, but I admit I didn't have a clue on how much data I was going to use, and aimed a little high the first month to be safe. By limiting mobile data to checking emails and occasional surfing when WiFi is not avaialable, I find I'm comfortable with under 100 meg a month, while other family members need zero data and other the maximum plan available. Same deal with 200 minutes of airtime... I'm not a blabbermouth, but it gets eaten fast with incoming calls, wrong numbers, voicemails, etc. rounded up to the next minute. 6 or 7 these calls a day and you're into overage quickly. ____________________ If you see a reply you like, please give it a star.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
You should be happy that there's a 10-day grace period on data. It's not a free trial. It's not advertised because of the reasons given by BobTheElectrician - mainly to avoid bill shock.
Badge +4
The grace period was offered years ago when Koodo began introducing data-enabled phones. At that time, few devices included built-in data monitoring software, making it difficult for customers to gauge the amount of data used or needed until ones' bill arrived. The solution was to allow for some leniency and as Ivan and BobTheElectrician mention, to alleviate bill shock. With data monitoring software on just about every device out there, the onus is placed on the customer to become familiar with their device and how it handles data. I think the reason that the grace period is not widely publicized is because customers are dealt with individually. Since the ten day grace period commences at time of purchase and runs parallel to the fifteen day return period, I don't think I would want to go overboard with data usage. Let's say I want to return my phone for refund on the eighth day after racking up a whopping 2GB of data use, (under the 'assumption' that I'm covered by the ten day grace period on data). According to Koodo's reasonable data usage, I would be on the hook for the overage. http://help.koodomobile.com/getting-started-with-koodo/before-you-purchase/what-is-your-15-day-money-back-guarantee [b]Clarity. If the trial or grace period is indeed offered, it should be clearly defined in your Critical Information Summary in accordance with the Wireless Code, in my opinion. http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm