Koodo Community

Community

Damage insurance

I just broke my phones screen last night, I bought the phone out, its going to cost $200 to repair and I'm a broke student. I'm now without a phone, which I actually need for weekly teleconferences with student union and such, for I dunno how long and there is no kind of insurance or anything to save me here. I'd like to see a $5/mo insurance you could add to cover repairs in situations like this.

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Kind of a food idea if this were to happen often with someone. Plus, they would be making money out of people who don't break their phones and took the insurance!
Userlevel 4
Robert wrote:

Kind of a food idea if this were to happen often with someone. Plus, they would be making money o...

Did you mean food or good? Now I'm hungry...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Kind of a food idea if this were to happen often with someone. Plus, they would be making money o...

Me too.... we need more food ideas!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

Good xD
Userlevel 4
Robert wrote:

Garlic bread grilled cheese sandwich with dijon mustard, bacon, and mild salsa to dip it in. 2 slices of thick Kraft singles. It'll be mind blowing flavor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Robert wrote:

^virtual star I am so copying this down... does it have a name?
Userlevel 4
Robert wrote:

I'd say it but the name my friend and I picked is not appropriate for this forum. Don't set the element to anything higher than 4 if you have the dials. Making it slowly allows the thick cheese slices to fuse everything together and a better flavor bomb when you dip it in the salsa. I added parmesean cheese between the cheese slices for additiona flavor but it's not required. This is Tyler with the Koodo Cooking Channel. Thanks for joining and have a delicious day!
Userlevel 6
Robert wrote:

Telus has something called the Device Protection Add-on through Asurion. Where you can get up to 2 replacements in a year and if you max out your total replacements, Telus will remove the feature.once you maxed out the total replacements. I think Koodo could implement something like that.
Userlevel 5
Traditionally the companies that offer an "insurance" for breakage on their phones, often also charge a deductible if something happens. From my memory it wasn't anywhere near the cost of the phone but it did still require some money out of pocket. Although this was a couple years ago so things may have changed. But when it comes to insurance companies, they don't like to just give stuff away. And with phones, it would be too easy to break it deliberately then ask for a new one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Traditionally the companies that offer an "insurance" for breakage on their phones, often also ch...

thats correct Ive went through the process with Bell and it cost $7 a month plus when you make a claim (which is limited to 2 claims) it cost $200.You get a refurbished phone sent to you the next day then send back your damaged phone in the package they provided.So if you think about it its not that great of a deal as it sounds. Just put aside some rainy day or broken phone cash then if you dont break your phone you get to keep that cash. put a case on your phone and youll never have any need for this at all.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mark Kokolsky wrote:

Traditionally the companies that offer an "insurance" for breakage on their phones, often also ch...

If it's an iphone you can go the apple store and get a refurbished one for $200 (pricing varies and depends on the model) without the monthly fee
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
codo27, how much is remaining on your tab? It might be a cheaper option to pay off your tab and then get another phone. Koodo also has pre-owned phone. Check a Koodo kiosk to see what options they have. Looking for a used phone off kijiji or craigslist might be another alternative It is never timely for things (cars, phones, laptops, water heater, etc) to break unfortunately. I know how ya feel
Userlevel 6
I don't think that Koodo would be well served to start up an insurance service internally. However, they could set up a partnership with an existing insurance company and just have booklets at the kiosks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Curtules wrote:

I don't think that Koodo would be well served to start up an insurance service internally. How...

If you purchase the phone outright with your credit card, some credit cards may have insurance included to pay for lost/stolen/damaged purchases
I don't have anything on my tab, I just switched over the summer and have a cheaper plan that doesn't have a tab 😞 I'm in such a bind right now, I have $5 in my account and really cannot afford to get this fixed, even to order the screen myself (~$180) and fix it, let alone get someone else to.
Userlevel 4
codo27 wrote:

I don't have anything on my tab, I just switched over the summer and have a cheaper plan that doe...

Given that it is physical damage, the only option in this case is to use the tab to get a phone. Anything done with Koodo in regards to repair, including the Priority Replacement program, there would be a fee due to the broken screen.
Userlevel 2
Hey there, if this phone is and high-end device it might be worthy to send it into repair. Koodo supports out of warranty repairs as well. What would be better than getting your screen replaced by the manufacture. I am sure if you take your koodo phone into a koodo shop they will repair the phone for you. For LCD & Display & Backlight the Estimated Repair Cost is $150. Savings? $50.00 Plus, you can get a loaner phone in the meantime. Next time, buy a case! Things happens 😞
Userlevel 4
Xavier wrote:

Hey there, if this phone is and high-end device it might be worthy to send it into repair. Ko...

Reread the OP. It seems pretty obvious that he doesn't have that kind of money to use towards the repair...
Userlevel 6
I really don't think carriers should delve into insurance and stuff like that (we have enough of Rogers trying to become a bank...) Nothing stops you from getting insurance from a 3rd party though. I have absolutely no experience with them, but a Google search brought up Ensquared, which seem to provide what you were looking for. https://ca.ensquared.com/catalog Like many, I recommend people always use a case. It's both cheaper and more convenient than any sort of insurance. After all is said and done though, you're still without a phone. Maybe you could find an LG A341 on the cheap somewhere? Then when you've got some leftover cash, you can get something nicer! At least, you've got options 🙂
Userlevel 7
Wait a minute, you said you bought the phone outright and you're no on Tab... so wouldn't you technically have a full Tab available to use? Why don't you talk to your nearest Koodo shop or authorized retailer and have them look at your options?
Userlevel 3
Hi codo27, Great idea thanks for telling us about it. Just wanted to let you know that we've just created the Koodo Extended Warranty that will help you out on future phone purchase to protect your phone from any type of damage. Wish we could have had this for you a year ago. Have a look at the warranty info here. Thanks!