Koodo Community
Question

Counter Topic - Why the need for extras if you enjoy Koodo

Userlevel 1
As with every service provider, there is always an outcry for long time customers to get some "extras". For Koodo, this has ranged from: Wiping the tab after X amount of time. Getting a free phone. Crediting an entire bill Etc. Maybe I come from a generation where good service is the perk of a long time customer. You enjoy the service, why do you need more? Currently, you can do the following as a long time customer on Koodo: Switch to a promotional rate plan. Upgrade a new phone at any time. Koodo Tab(you are always accumilating a tab unless you have the Sim Card Discount or are on the Spending Cap program with no access to the negative portion of the tab). Bring your own unlocked phone over Sim Card Discount Sales on prices of Phones There's lots that Koodo currently does that long time customers can take advantage of. So why the need for more? It just seems like people are greed and want everything for free or the bare minimum and that's not how service providers work.

30 replies

Userlevel 1
Human nature Doc. We all want more and more! you can't blame people for that!
Userlevel 1
Yes, I can actually. People need to stop being so greedy with the "gimmie gimmie gimmie". Think of it this way, all the extras that people want, Koodo has to foot the bill for it. Do you really want other things to go up in price for extras that aren't really needed?
Userlevel 1
Yes, I can actually. People need to stop being so greedy with the "gimmie gimmie gimmie". Thi...I'm consumer and I know that big companies make lot of profit even if they allow some incentives here and there.
Userlevel 1
Yes, I can actually. People need to stop being so greedy with the "gimmie gimmie gimmie". Thi...That's because big companies gouge their customers. I'm talking about Koodo specifically, whom isn't a big company and is a discount carrier.
Userlevel 2
Yes, I can actually. People need to stop being so greedy with the "gimmie gimmie gimmie". Thi...Just to play devils advocate, how is koodo not a 'big company'? As I'm sure you're well aware, they're owned by Telus Communications, who also operates Telus Mobility. They're all just an umbrella of the same entity, operating as different divisions. Telus Communications is a MASSIVE company, and koodo is a part of that. Regarding the so called 'extras', I think we just see things differently, or have a different definition of what an extra is. For example, you list an extra as being able to switch plans to a promotional plan at any time. I don't see that as being anything extra, as nobody is on a fixed term contract with Koodo, so anyone should be able to switch to any available plan, at any time. You also list extras as being able to use an unlocked phone, or upgrade to a new phone at any time. Again, I don't see why that should be considered anything extra. Why wouldn't someone be able to purchase an unlocked device themselves and use it, or get a new device through koodo at whatever the upgrade price is? PS: I've never taken a device on a tab, so I've no interest in having my tab wiped or anything like that, and I certainly don't expect a free device from Koodo, or for them to pay my bill. I'm not one why requires 'perks', I'd just like Koodo to offer the same services (for a comparable price) as the other carriers in this country.
Userlevel 1
Yes, I can actually. People need to stop being so greedy with the "gimmie gimmie gimmie". Thi...The bells and whistles that other companies have Koodo doesn't need. I feel if Koodo brought some of these extra things on(btw, my "examples" were just that), it'll cause a raise in prices and I don't want to see that.
Userlevel 2
Yes, I can actually. People need to stop being so greedy with the "gimmie gimmie gimmie". Thi...Respectfully, I think we just see things differently. The 'bells & whistles' I'm after are services that I'd like to pay for, not things that I'd like to be given away for free. Things like VVM, International Travel Packs, Carrier Billing for App Purchases, etc. They're more like 'add-on' services, instead of 'bells & whistles', and I'd expect a fee associated with them. Also, Telus currently offers all of these, so Koodo is capable of providing them as well without too much hassle. As far as the subsidies - free phones, paying off bills, etc, I agree with you, these types are things are unnecessary for me. But, when it comes to the actual network services that koodo chooses to offer, I'd really like them to take the lead and be on top of these features, instead of just calling them 'premium' and dismissing them. If every other carrier in the country offers these types of things as standard fare, and Koodo doesn't, it doesn't mean these are 'premium' services, it means Koodo isn't providing access to features that are typically 'standard' practice in the industry.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agreed, Doctor. Would you expect your landlord to let you not pay for a few months because you've lived there for 5 years?
Userlevel 4
Agreed, Doctor. Would you expect your landlord to let you not pay for a few months because you'v...After 8 years of living in the same place, my landlord denied an offer to reduce rent
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agreed, Doctor. Would you expect your landlord to let you not pay for a few months because you'v...Apples to oranges, in my opinion.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agreed, Doctor. Would you expect your landlord to let you not pay for a few months because you'v...In Edmonton, the Boardwalk group of apartments offers the first month's rent free for a one year lease renewal
Badge +4
Agreed, Doctor. Would you expect your landlord to let you not pay for a few months because you'v...That's not based on loyalty, that's a from of marketing aimed to entice prospective renters.
Userlevel 6
I'm with the Doctor on this one. And I also find it interesting that this 'gimme, gimmie" attitutde is more prevalent in the cellphone world than anywhere else. Of course you can only blame the cellphone companies for that. When was the last time you got anything for your "loyalty" from your insurance company?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm with the Doctor on this one. And I also find it interesting that this 'gimme, gimmie" attitut...IIRC: August 29, 2012 August 29, 2011 August 29, 2010 Maybe you need a better insurance company.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm with the Doctor on this one. And I also find it interesting that this 'gimme, gimmie" attitut...I get a loyalty discount on my insurance. Who are you using Chris?
Koodo gives great customer service which is hard to find now days.Great company Great deals, keep up the good work.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo gives great customer service which is hard to find now days.Great company Great deals, keep...In my own experience, Koodo's customer service is no better or worse than Virgin, Fido, or Rogers. The only companies I've received worse service from are Bell and WIND. So, to me at least, this isn't a perk exclusive to Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Koodo gives great customer service which is hard to find now days.Great company Great deals, keep...Agreed. If I didnt have a locked Telus iPhone I would have probably gone with Fido
Userlevel 3
I would have to agree that the service from Koodo should be our perk. except for the purposed option to wipe remaining tab balance after 3 years, just cause some plan may take an extremely long time to clear your tab. This isn't going to make or break the relationship with Koodo anyway.
Userlevel 5
Gimme gimme never gets, haven't you learned your manners yet?
Userlevel 1
And on the other side of the argument, people in most every other country in the world get more and pay less for cellular service. That said, Koodo is surely on of the best if not "the best" Canadian deal going and they are a "for profit" company. One country I frequent, $30/month gets you unlimited everything. Unless you make overseas calls your bill will never be more than the $30. We pay at last twice that for unlimited anytime minutes and nationwide calling and have a cap on data (with outage charges). How does is this company able to handle bandwidth hogs on data? After an unreasonable amount they just (rather then cut then off) slow then down to a maximum of 256kbs transfer speed until the next day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@The Doctor Why do you insist on telling us what we may or may not post? Surely, we're as free to share our opinions as you are to share yours. Let's go through your list of "extras", shall we? 1) Switch to a promotional rate plan - available through every carrier 2) Upgrade a new phone at any time - available through every carrier 3) Koodo Tab - Koodo is no longer a trailblazer here. All of our carriers now use some form of device balance system akin to the tab. Virgin Mobile also lets you collect positive tab balance (and they give bigger tabs). WIND Mobile will wipe your tab in 3 years. 4) Bring your own unlocked phone over - every GSM network anywhere in the world. That's like saying Koodo allowing me to make phone calls is an "extra". 5) Sim Card Discount - WIND, Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin. Only Fido doesn't offer this. 6) Sales on prices of phones - I'll give you this one. Koodo has the best phone prices to start with and has the best sales. And they have to, because of the much smaller subsidy provided to us. Why is wiping the tab off after 3 years greedy to you? I find it funny that we talk about 3 year contracts being absurd compared to the rest of the world, but let's call a 5 year contract a tab instead and problem solved. Now, how's that for fixing 3-year contracts? Getting a free phone for loyalty reasons is ridiculous. Crediting an entire bill for loyalty is a bit less far-fetched, but still unlikely. My point is that I see ideas that I don't believe to be feasible all the time here, and I'll say that I don't think that it'll happen, but you won't see me saying to the poster anything like "stop being greedy" and "stop posting ideas like this". Suppressing discourse is hardly a path toward progress. "Maybe I come from a generation where good service is the perk of a long time customer. You enjoy the service, why do you need more?" I find the abovementioned statement to be particularly patronizing. So now we're off to insulting entire cohorts? Nice. And that statement sounds like you're only entitled to good service after being a long-time customer? If I don't have good service to start with, I'm probably not going to remain a customer for very long. And if I do receive good service from the start, then how is that a "perk"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@The Doctor Why do you insist on telling us what we may or may not post? Surely, we're ...@Philosoraptor, I couldnt have said it better myself. Change and improvement is the way to a better business. Business is always evolving, and that is why Koodo has these forums. To encourage discussion and to utilize good ideas. I understand that not everything is possible, but back in the day Unlimited minutes seemed far fetched too. I have noticed that businesses offer great deals to entice new customers, but lack the enthusiasm to maintain customers, resulting in a lot of customers who are "provider jumping " (this is especially prevalent in the cable and internet provider industries). Competition is good for the cellphone industry. Different models can be experimented with. And when a feature of a specific model works well, I think it is fair to say "This is a great idea offered by [Wind, Fido, etc]. Wouldn't it be great if Koodo could do this too"
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@The Doctor Why do you insist on telling us what we may or may not post? Surely, we're ...Wish I could give you 10 stars, Philosoraptor!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
@The Doctor Why do you insist on telling us what we may or may not post? Surely, we're ...Thanks for the support 🙂