Koodo Community

Community

Solved

clone sim card

I have a couple of phones that I'd like to sync up, is it possible to clone an existing SIM card? Can one of the Koodo kiosk provide that kind of service?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
No.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
They definitely will not do it at the store, SOME sims can be cloned, but you need specific equipment(SIM card reader) to do it. Not sure Koodo phones will accept a manipulated sim anyways. Better off to not set your hopes high and just forget about that idea. Although the theory of having them synced is a cool one, it will be a while before its easy and phones accept them on a wide scale.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Chadwick wrote:

They definitely will not do it at the store, SOME sims can be cloned, but you need specific equip...

edit. It will NEVER HAPPEN lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Cloning sim cards is illegal in the US, and to my knowledge illegal in Canada as well, although I am not able to locate the specific legislation against it. It would, at the very least, be a violation of your terms of service with Koodo.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Cloning sim cards is illegal in the US, and to my knowledge illegal in Canada as well, although I...

Dang, i definitely did not know it was illegal. Yeah DONT DO IT lol
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

Cloning sim cards is illegal in the US, and to my knowledge illegal in Canada as well, although I...

just found it Canadian Criminal Code, sections 326 and 327:
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

lol alright good to know

Timo Tuokkola wrote:

For argument sake ,that can be argued, since the service is paid for (by me), same service plan on two phones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

yeah you can argue the law all you like. Doesn't mean you will win, even if your right lol ( in the eyes of the government, not myself of course)
Thank you all
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
If by 'sync up' you mean they both ring when the number is called, it can be managed through a VoIP service, which then calls both phones.

If you mean having two phones on the same line and only one charge, then the comments above would apply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

If by 'sync up' you mean they both ring when the number is called, it can be managed through a Vo...

he meant the later Dfbutt.
David wrote:

If by 'sync up' you mean they both ring when the number is called, it can be managed through a Vo...

@Dfbutt With the VoIP service, would I be able to dial out? or receive/send texts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

With some VoIP services and some of the numbers they offer, yes, you can text. I know voip.ms does, and there are lots of others as well who should be able to provide service.

You can also use an app on your phone(s) or computer to receive and make calls. If, instead, you forward the incoming VoIP calls to your cellphone number, outgoing calls would usually be made through the phone, using your current plan, though you can set up a call forwarding system to get cheaper long distance rates.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

Check out Fongo for voip. Calls are free. Texts are $2 per month, if I remember correctly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
David wrote:

Most Fongo calls are free. If the person you are calling does not live in the rate centres they have covered, there are fees. For example, with the exception of Kelowna, the interior of BC is a fee-required area, as is anywhere outside the St. John's metro area in NL.