Koodo Community

Community

Clarification needed on website: Koodo SIM purchased online is primarily for existing Koodo customers.

Userlevel 1
Please clarify on your website where you sell SIM cards (https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/accessories/index.html) that these are primarily intended for people who already have a Koodo account. If you don't have an existing account then you will have to pay $35 to get the SIM/phone combination activated, or take them to a Koodo store. In the latter case you can buy the SIM for the same price, get the SIM/phone combination activated and save the $5 for shipping the SIM. This problem has arisen for me because I ordered a Koodo SIM from the website expecting to be able to set up an account with it and then use self-serve to activate my unlocked iPhone.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Don't think that's right. You have 3 options when buying online - new to Koodo, Already a customer, or buying an accessory or.gift. If you select the last one, fill out the details and you get the sim card for about $17 that includes shipping. Where' are you getting the $35 from? It's way cheaper and faster to get the sim card at a store
Userlevel 1
Here was what happened. I agree that it's way faster and cheaper to go to a koodo store, but the nearest is 60 km away, and I thought that if I could do this through the self-serve I would try that. I read a lot of the Koodo site and Koodo Community because I was deciding how I wanted to buy my phone, what plan I wanted, etc. It's my first cell phone. Until recently I had a blackberry free from work so this is all new to me. I noticed in browsing that I could buy a nano SIM here: https://shop.koodomobile.com/phones/accessories/index.html which I reached by moving the mouse pointer to Phones and clicking on Accessories. The SIM cost $10 with $5 shipping ($15+tax = 16.95 as you say. The text on Accessory page for the nano SIM card says "SIM-only customers will be required to pass a credit check before activating their phone with a Koodo SIM card." from which I surmised that I could buy the SIM, have it shipped, and then set up an account at which point a credit check was required. I didn't think that an existing customer who perhaps got a second phone for their family would need a second credit check so I understood that it was sensible for a non-customer to buy the nano SIM, and then presumably receive or obtain a Customer Account Number so that they could open a Self Serve account to activate a phone. The back of the SIM card says "To set-up your account, call Customer Service at 1-866-995-3363, which I did. I was not an existing customer so I skipped option 1 on the telephone menu choices. I listened to the information on options 2. Option 3 was to activate a phone, and option 4 was "if you have questions about moving your phone number over to Koodo mobile." I did not have a number to move over, so the only sensible choice to try was 3. The man who answered said that I could just set up an account online by clicking on Self Serve\monthly customers. I explained that I had tried that but could not register with Self Serve unless I had a Customer Account Number. There was a long pause after that and some keyboard sounds which I assumed meant the man was actually trying to see how to set up a Self Serve account so he could guide me. After a while the man came back and said my only choice was to pay Koodo $35 for activating a cellphone over the phone, or to take the SIM and phone to a Koodo store. He then asked if I was going to pay the $35, and I said no thank you. I then tried calling 1-866-995-3363 and pressing 0 instead of options 1-4 that were offered in the menu. I was prompted to enter my telephone number, and since I didn't have one yet I entered 0 which brought me back to option 3. I then turned to the Koodo Community and asked how I could open a self-serve account so that I could activate my iPhone with this nano SIM that I bought online from the Koodo store. I noted that the closest Koodo Shop I could find was in Ottawa, 200 km away, but that there was a closer Walmart that was in the Koodo store list. Dennis, a mobile master with 1 star, answered with this: ------------- For a monthly plan/sim/account: Your options are to activate in store for free or $35 to do it over the phone. I'm not sure if Walmart will be able to activate a sim for you that you bought online. I would call them first to check. The credit check should be completed within minutes. If your sim is prepaid then you can activate your prepaid sim via phone for free ---------- So I phoned the other Koodo store adjacent to Walmart (The Wireless Centre) to ask if they could activate my phone with this nano SIM. I was told that they would try but I might have to purchase a nano SIM from them. I drove the 120 km round trip to the The Wireless Centre and they activated my new iPhone 6 using the nano SIM that I had purchased online. They were very helpful and pleasant. This is what led me to suggesting that you revise the wording so that other people would not buy a SIM from the Koodo online store under the mistaken understanding that if Koodo sold SIMs to "SIM-only customers [that] will require be required to pass a credit check before activating a phone with this SIM card", there must be a sensible way to at least set up a self-serve account and then activate a phone with the SIM using Self-Serve, at which point a credit check would be run. I was suggesting a wording change so that others know that even if they buy a SIM through the Koodo online store they will have to (1) go to a store for activation so they should just buy the SIM at the store, or (2) pay $35 to activate a cellphone using that SIM via a telephone call to the 1-866 number. This was just my experience. I thought I was being helpful in suggesting a clarification to the Koodo store web page. I might not be right, but my story is accurate and true.
Userlevel 6
OK, I think what you're saying is to make it clearer what to do when the SIM card gets delivered to your doorstep? this is really insightful, I thought when you buy only a SIM card and your'e not a customer (yet), you are in fact activating it by virtue of ordering on line, and then all you need to do is insert it in your non-Koodo phone. Wording is key, agreed, because it's the SIM card you're activating, not the phone. Am curious, when it was delivered to you were there any additional instructions/info that accompanied the SIM card you ordered. Good stuff Prospector16!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Prospector16 wrote:

Not quite. I was suggesting that clarification is required in the Koodo store so that a non-custo...

Please don't post personal information such as your name and address. when you post images of your bill, please cover up this info. It's for your protection.
Userlevel 1
Prospector16 wrote:

Not quite. I was suggesting that clarification is required in the Koodo store so that a non-custo...

Oops. Thanks for pointing that out. I wonder if there is any way to have it removed or if it will be here for all time. The discussion was just Cameron and I. I forgot that it was community rather than other websites where this kind of discussion is one-on-one just between the two parties.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Agree 100% that Koodo should list the item as $10 + shipping + activation fee required for new accounts. Compared to the southern provinces, Koodo is in the middle of the pack. Took my "vacationing" unlocked Koodo phone down south, ordered a SIM online at consumer cellular for $10. Free shipping. Free activation. Arrives Priority Mail with phone number pre-programmed. Just have to pop it in, call mothership to confirm that data is wanted (they block by default) and make a few changes to APN. $10 credit for money spent on SIM first invoice, so it costs you ZERO. Other providers can cost you around $50 US.
Userlevel 6
BobTheElectrician wrote:

Agree 100% that Koodo should list the item as $10 + shipping + activation fee required for new ac...

Robert, what you described is a hassle free process, nice! I think Koodo would need to re-engineer this some how