Koodo Community

Community

Choosing any Golden Number

Ability that we (customers) can choose (buy) any golden or special number that we want. Regardless if the number is saved or reserved for another carrier.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
No way. You can't "buy" other people's phone numbers. That just doesn't work. Imagine all the phone numbers existing in the world and you want to "buy" one. Well then, what happens to the person with that number? Do they have to "buy" a new one or get assigned a new one? This doesn't work in my opinion. It's an interesting idea but it would cause so many complications.
I am not talking about buying other's people numbers; I mean buying the "unused or new" number that you want regardless of the carrier. For example, Monilicity has the first three digits "706" of any number, if u want to buy a number that starts with 706 it has to be strictly from mobilicity and so on. I am talking about choosing or picking the number that we want regardless if the first three digits are strictly restricted to certain carriers.
Userlevel 3
There are also problems if Koodo doesn't offer service in the area. For example, Koodo has phone numbers with my area code, but I can't port my home number to Koodo because they don't have service in the area. Something to do with telephone exchanges or other.
Userlevel 1
Moonmack wrote:

There are also problems if Koodo doesn't offer service in the area. For example, Koodo has phone...

You'll find some FAQs on CRTC Wireless Code regulations in http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm
Userlevel 6
This can't be done as the phone numbers are the express property of the service providers, it's not just a simple restriction. The general idea is that part of paying for your cell service is that you're renting the number from the provider, that's why you can't port a number from a suspended or cancelled account, the second you're not using the number anymore the provider takes ownership of the number. Therefore, if the number is not in service you can't take it from another provider. Good idea, but it unfortunately can't be done as the whole telecommunications system (in Canada at least) is set up in a way that doesn't allow it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I like the idea. But it may be more suitable if customers can request if a number can be purchased from another Koodo customer. Numbers sometimes have special meaning (lucky vs unlucky) in certain cultures
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

I like the idea. But it may be more suitable if customers can request if a number can be purchas...

If that customer allows you to get his number, no need to purchase it, just ask him to town it in your name, then port it to different provider.
This cannot happen. I'm not even sure how this idea came to be. There are way too many legal issues. If someone were to purchase my active number, I would be fuming.
Userlevel 6
AlexiKrov wrote:

This cannot happen. I'm not even sure how this idea came to be. There are way too many legal issu...

But AlexiKrov...you're always fuming. But everyone seems to be missing that he's not talking about taking active numbers, just purchasing INactive numbers set aside for other providers. Which still cannot be done.
AlexiKrov wrote:

This cannot happen. I'm not even sure how this idea came to be. There are way too many legal issu...

I am not always fuming. I suggest not making assumptions. Then he should have stated inactive numbers from the start. He said "saved/reversed" which read as active. It's all in how you say it.
I meant by carriers the operating company. For example Fido, Rogers, Bell, Virgin, etc.
Ahmad Yehia wrote:

I meant by carriers the operating company. For example Fido, Rogers, Bell, Virgin, etc.

It's already been stated why this cannot be an option.