Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Checking out Ubuntu Phone when released?

Watched the video for Ubuntu Phone when it was released and it looks pretty interesting. Anyone going to be trying it out when it goes live? What are your thoughts on their concepts? Just another company trying to copy Windows 8, who tried to copy Apple in making a more networked environment for phone, tablet, and desktop? Overall, I thought the layout looked pretty smooth, and there's already an Android version of the left-side app bar that's been made to function like in the video. Their multi-function tablet layout looks nice. I know I'm looking forward to seeing how this will prod development in the Android/Apple camps for future feature releases. In case you missed it, info and video can be seen here: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Dusted off my GNex to try it...not too impressed. Though currently it's not all that usable. We'll see how updates go. Overall though I doubt it's enough to have me leave Android or iOS.
John Burke wrote:

Dusted off my GNex to try it...not too impressed. Though currently it's not all that usable. We'l...

Yeah, the developer preview is supposed to be pretty non-functional. 😞 Hoping they do some cool stuff with it though and at least encourage innovation in the mobile world.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
This kind of stuff is not Koodo related and thus Koodo doesn't want it on the forum. I'm not being a you know what but I have already asked about creating a section for posts like this and they told me they don't want it on their forum and to keep it Koodo related.
Paul "Kid Android" Deschamps wrote:

This kind of stuff is not Koodo related and thus Koodo doesn't want it on the forum. I'm not bein...

Thanks for the heads up Kid. Just trying to spark some discussion and feel out interest in the Ubuntu Phone market. After all, if a good number of people are interested in the Ubuntu Phone, then it'll be something Koodo might be interested in adding to their product lineup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This kind of stuff is not Koodo related and thus Koodo doesn't want it on the forum. I'm not bein...

I hear you. I think it looks kind of neat but I can see them getting their butt sued off because bits just stolen parts of every other OS put together. I don't think it will catch on personally. Have you seen the Firefox OS, it's terrible. I love Firefox browser and use it on my computer and my Galaxy Note 2 (in fact I'm using it right now lol) but THEIR Mobile OS is just awful.

Very cool - the Galaxy Note 2 looks sweet. How's the multi-tasking? Nope, haven't seen that one, but I can imagine. There are several failed OSes out there that just couldn't fly. It's pretty cutthroat, and when you have some companies suing at the mere thought of a look at their device, it gets hard for anyone to do anything. I frankly hate the lawsuit battles over stupid things. We're the ones who will just end up paying. Let's have innovation full on in the mobile world and see where we can get to. Speaking of different OSes, I'm actually getting my parents to bring a Chromebook home from Florida this spring so I can try it out. Best case, it'll work great as a Chromebook for some light work, other best case, I get a really cheap laptop running Ubuntu that I can do anything I need to do with...

Paul, I understand about Koodo not wanting to support aftermarket OS's such as Firefox/Ubuntu/CM but it would be nice if Say Masters offered an upload of a video of their new features on Koodo as a preview of what's coming in the future?
Userlevel 5

Not sure what you're wanting us to do here Geoff? We don't get much of a preview of anything (other than a short window on the latest self serve update). I can understand why we aren't getting them. So any kind of thing we could do here would be anything we've done on our own to our personal devices. Basically we get to test out new phones (I got an S II X for example) every few months, and some other perks (aside from my pack I got two other surprises in the mail this year so far). Could you clarify what you were looking for here?

Well some interactive type of review, like this http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ubuntu-nexus-640x426.jpg I am not saying this review is good/bad, but using those previews to help show others within the community of new features. A picture is worth a thousand words, but a video can render one speechless!
Userlevel 1
That would work great with phones like the Note 2 which have quad cores and 2 gigs of ram. I could probably play some of my favourite games on it like League of Legends or Civ IV.
Don wrote:

That would work great with phones like the Note 2 which have quad cores and 2 gigs of ram. I coul...

No doubt! It would open up a nice mobile gaming platform, especially if more companies start supporting Linux with Steam's support.