Koodo Community

Community

Solved

CDMA to HSPA Upgrade Question

Hey everyone, I currently have a no-sim CDMA Koodo phone and am looking to upgrade to one of their smartphones. I was just wondering, if I order the new phone and plan online, will my service stop immediately on my existing CDMA until I get the new Smartphone? Or, will everything stay the same on the CDMA until I activate the SIM on then new phone once it arrives? I hope I'm explaining this correctly. I'm giving this new phone as a Christmas.gift, so I don't want to tip off the recipient if I order it today and service suddenly cuts off until Christmas. 🙂 Thank you for any help!

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi there Mike... 2 things may happen when you order the phone online: 1) The Webstore could send your phone already active on the network and then your CDMA phone won't work... 2) The Webstore could ship your phone and sim card with instructions to activate them once they arrive, either via Self Serve by swapping the equipment or via Customer Service... I would think that, since you have a CDMA phone in your account, they will proceed with option 2, but if when ordering the phone there is a space or box for comments, you could explain this so you play safe...
Camilo_A wrote:

Hi there Mike... 2 things may happen when you order the phone online: 1) The Webstore could...

That's good to know. I'll definitely note that in the comments. Thanks a bunch!
Userlevel 6
Camilo_A wrote:

Hi there Mike... 2 things may happen when you order the phone online: 1) The Webstore could...

Hi Camilo, Timo is right! The phones are never sent active 🙂 Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Camilo_A wrote:

It could happen, You will be impressed if you ask Channel Care...
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I can't imagine that they'd send the phone already activated. The risk of fraudulent use if it's misrouted or lost in transit is far too high. Phones are always sent inactive to be activated upon receipt.
Timo Tuokkola wrote:

I can't imagine that they'd send the phone already activated. The risk of fraudulent use if it's...

That makes sense, Timo. I never thought of that. Kiitos!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
I'm a little confused.. Do you mean you want to add another line/service?. Or you upgrade your phone and give it to your family/friend? What do you want to do with your old CDMA phone after you give the new phone to your family/friend? Add: "upgrade your phone" means your plan will transfer to the new phone. So you won't have your plan/service on your CDMA...
Hi Mayumi, I would just be wanting to do a complete upgrade for the same phone #, rendering the CDMA phone useless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Mike Remy wrote:

Hi Mayumi, I would just be wanting to do a complete upgrade for the same phone #, rendering ...

Thanks Mike. I just wanted to be sure 🙂
Userlevel 1
I too am quite confident the SIM and phone are sent inactive and require the correct owner to activate. However not sure about the plan. I think you can only activate plans that are available at the time of activation