Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can you port a cell number to a landline?

Userlevel 1
My mother is thinking of getting rid of her landline and porting the landline number to Koodo. She then asked me a question I didn't know the answer to: If she changes her mind after a couple of months and wants the landline back, can she port that same number back from the cell to her landline. I know that porting a landline number to cell phones is permitted, but can you do the opposite? Does anybody know where I can find official information on this stuff in Canada?

9 replies

I don't know if it is possible, but why not just try koodo for a couple months and see first (she could always just forward her home phone to the cell phone for a bit and not lose the number)
Userlevel 1
Marcel in O-Town wrote:

I don't know if it is possible, but why not just try koodo for a couple months and see first (she...

There is Wireless number portability (WNP), I'm not sure if the oppsite exists Landline Number Portability, perhaps you should ask Landline provider .
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Yes it is possible. You can keep your phone number if you switch: -from one wireless service provider to another wireless service provider -from a landline phone line to a wireless service provider -from a wireless service provider to a landline phone line carrier, if the location to be served by your telephone number is within the local exchange area for your telephone number. This is from the CRTC. Link below http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t1025.htm
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

Yes it is possible. You can keep your phone number if you switch: -from one wireless service ...

Thx for the Tip Dennis, now I know for sure! there is famous saying : (If you don't know, ask, beter to stay ignorant for 1 minute than stay ignorant your whole life)
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Dennis wrote:

Yes it is possible. You can keep your phone number if you switch: -from one wireless service ...

No problem. I only knew the answer since my mom asked me the same questions because she was a little afraid of getting a cell phone and wanted the option to change her mind
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

cool! lol
Userlevel 1
Dennis wrote:

Fantastic info. Thanks Dennis!
Dennis wrote:

That's so interesting, thanks Denis
Userlevel 5
The one thing Ill mention is that the process itself can take longer when going to/from a landline. My understanding is that there is more involved than there is with wireless to wireless, so the max amount of time it can take is longer. But outside of that there shouldnt be a problem.