Koodo Community

Can text and use data but no calls

• 3 November 2020
  • 21 replies

Userlevel 1

I am in my home office. I have a signal booster connected to a MIMO antennas. I am able to send text messages and I am able to access data network. In fact the download speed is as high as I have ever seen it.

However, I am unbale to make outgoing calls. The phone appears to be trying to call out, but no sounds are returned and after about 30 seconds the phone disconnects and displays “Call ended”.

I am unable to check my voicemail messages. I have also asked someone to call my number and they reported to me that the call did not even ring or revert to Voicemail.

I have powered off the phone, removed the SIM card and rebooted the phone. I even tried inserting an unused Telus SIM, restarted the phone, and tried tests again with no luck.

Using Network Cell Info Lite app I ma seeing the following….

TAC-ECI: 55506-139325769

eNM-LCID: Rotates thru 544241-73,  544241-43, and 

RSRP: -94dBm

RSSNR = Ranges from 1.6dB to 6.4dB

RSRQ: -8

PCI: 211

NID: 70-1

Band: 2

My phone is indicating 3 bars and connected to LTE network.

I am also connected to the Bell network via a ZTE TurboHub to access the internet through the same MIMO antenna.

This topic has been closed for comments

21 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you recently port in with Koodo? 

Userlevel 1

Sorry….what does that mean?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you bring your number from another carrier?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

From  your description, you boosted LTE signal. However, your phone might not support VoLTE on Koodo network and the phone could not make/receive call via LTE network. (It might have required 3G signal for calls).

What phone are you using? are you a postpaid customer? If you are a postpaid customer, did you have “VoLTE access”  add-on in your self-serve?

Another simpler way with calling in bad reception area is to enable VoWiFI (if your phone was compatible) https://www.koodomobile.com/en/help/wifi-calling

Userlevel 1

To Robert T question, the postpaid account has always been with Koodo and has worked for many years. This situation occurs from time to time and to be honest I will not be surprised if it clears itself. The current situation is specific to my location in office at home. Within the past hour I got in my truck and went so I could pick up a signal. I was able to call Voicemail.

This appears to be something with my antenna setup, but as you can see from my original posting, there is no obvious explanation why I can’t dial out or receive calls.  FYI….I did see the phone pop up  small message “Registered on Network” while connected through the booster/antenna. It should also be repeated and remembered, on most days I can use phone just fine in this location through the booster/antenna with data turned on or off. Also, for what it’s worth, I have tried turning signal booster up and down in case it is causing signal overload at the tower.

I would just like to understand once and for all why this is happening so I can make any changes required. 

Dinh….My phone is an LG Stylo 3+. I don’t believe it has VoWiFi. I have tried turning off data.

Interesting, when my Koodo SIM is in the phone there is no VoLTE setting visible in the Networks>Call menu. If I place a Telus SIM into the phone I see it on the list in my phone.

Can you shed any light on that? Is this a phone feature, or a network feature, or ??????

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That phone might not support VoLTE and it can only support call via 3G signal. So when a call came, your phone switched to 3G and failed to get proper signal. Data can always transfer via LTE without any problem.

Have you checked if you had “VoLTE access” add-on in your account? you need that one to enable VoLTE ( if your phone supports it). If you didn’t have that add-on you have to contact Koodo directly and ask a rep to put it on. But again, if the phone doesn’t support VoLTE , then you might have to find another way.

Userlevel 1

According to this, the phone does support VoLTE:

https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/how-to-use-volte

In any case, I can’t use phone regardless what Mode the network is set for. Interesting, if I set to “GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto” outgoing calls try to dial but eventually time out. If I switch to “GSM/WCDMA auto”, then it immediately pops up “Emergency Calls Only” when try to dial out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Did you have the “VoLTE access” add-on in your selfserve account? (it is one of the critical provision to enable VoLTE).

Userlevel 1

To be honest I looked for it but can’t find it on the very sparse and frustrating kodoo web site. Regardless, why would this become an issue today? Also interesting, I have managed to obtain a connection to make 1 or 2 calls. However, it is highly unreliable and my last attempt failed again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

TRegardless, why would this become an issue today? 

This was unclear in your post, but are you saying your calling was working perfectly fine in your home office previously and this is a new issue that came up today?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

To be honest I looked for it but can’t find it on the very sparse and frustrating kodoo web site. Regardless, why would this become an issue today? Also interesting, I have managed to obtain a connection to make 1 or 2 calls. However, it is highly unreliable and my last attempt failed again.

I thought I mentioned it in my 1st reply but it seems you were still confused.  Your booster seemed to increase the LTE signal but not 3G. But your phone could not (or haven't been provisioned to) make/receive call on LTE signals. So even when you have good LTE signals, you couldn't make/receive call on it. What I suggested so far is to enable that volte feature. 

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, you could go to your selfserve >> view rate plan» check if you have VoLTE access add-on. If you didn't have it, you have to contact a rep and ask him/her to add that addon for you. Hopefully that would make your phone work fully on LTE signals. 

Userlevel 1

I traversed Koodo Self-Serve (log in>”View Rate Plan”>”Manage add-ons”> to a page with a heading “Choose your monthly add-on(s)”)

I have pasted a copy of that page.

I do not see any reference to Add VoLTE

I guess I will need to travel to a spot where I can get a signal and call Koodo, wait on the phone for several dozen minutes until they offer to call me back. But of course I will not be able to receive the callback unless i sit in my vehicle for several minutes.

To Dennis….yes that is correct...”this is a new issue that came up today?” Albeit, it is not the first time it has occurred.

Thank you all for your assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That add-on wasn't  available to add in selfserve (that was why I mentioned you had to contact them). Normally it was added automatically during the vowifi activation or if you activated your line recently. 

Anyway, you could also contact them via Facebook messaging https://www.facebook.com/Koodo that would help to avoid the callback issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Are you noticing any friends or family with Koodo with similar issues in the area?

Userlevel 1

Managed to test one other Kodoo phone and a Telus  phone and neither were able to connect either. Very similar circumstances. Unfortunately I am unable to get my hands on a Rogers or Bell phone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Managed to test one other Kodoo phone and a Telus  phone and neither were able to connect either. Very similar circumstances. Unfortunately I am unable to get my hands on a Rogers or Bell phone.

If it has worked fine before then it is likely a tower issue.  Either a tower is having difficulties or a tower got removed due to other reasons

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Userlevel 1

I will wait until tomorrow or later in the week and report back.

Thanks all.

Userlevel 1

Want to share my findings to all who tried to help with solutions.

I mentioned there was a signal booster in the downstairs office (Wilson Booster). What I did not mention is there was also a cheapo booster upstairs. It appears that booster went rogue after having worked fine for several months. It was the cheap booster interfering with the signal throughout the house . It was not a Koodo network issue after all. I understand that two boosters improperly installed in close proximity to each other can interfere with each other, however these two boosters had played nice together since summer 2019 so it appears the cheap one went defective.

I confirmed this by unplugging the rogue booster and calls went through immediately. I plugged it back in with the outdoor antenna removed, and the problem immediate returned. Various other iterations with and without indoor antenna all pointed back to the moment the upstairs booster was plugged into AC.

Regarding DinH’s suggestions about the VoLTE, no other adjustments were made to the phone settings or the account settings.

To be clear, once the cheapo booster was removed from upstairs, calls were possible from the office with the WiIson booster turned on downstairs. Without it, there is insufficient signal for calls, text, or data.

One last word on boosters. If anyone is considering going on a web site like ‘Wish’ to order one of the many cheap boosters or antennas offered at much lower prices, save your money. They are junk. In my case the device worked to some small extent for about a year before it created a problem. In retrospect, I can’t imagine the frustration the Telco Carriers go through trying to deal with the interference these devices cause. Frankly, I think they should be banned and I’m surprised they are allowed to be shipped into the country. I am ashamed to admit that I fell prey to this crap and contributed to the problem. 

Furthermore, with an open mind I tried a few purchases on China based web sites offering similar electronics to save significant amounts, but I have learned my lesson. I now have absolutely nothing good to say about the China based web sites, like ‘Wish’ that pedal useless junk destine for the landfill to unwitting Canadian consumers. My experience with the ‘Wish’ web site has left me downright bitter. On one occasion I informed them of a 'dead on arrival’ device. They dragged it out until the credit card company would not accept a charge back challenge.  So, be aware.

Thanks to all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Want to share my findings to all who tried to help with solutions.

I mentioned there was a signal booster in the downstairs office (Wilson Booster). What I did not mention is there was also a cheapo booster upstairs. It appears that booster went rogue after having worked fine for several months. It was the cheap booster interfering with the signal throughout the house . It was not a Koodo network issue after all. I understand that two boosters improperly installed in close proximity to each other can interfere with each other, however these two boosters had played nice together since summer 2019 so it appears the cheap one went defective.

I confirmed this by unplugging the rogue booster and calls went through immediately. I plugged it back in with the outdoor antenna removed, and the problem immediate returned. Various other iterations with and without indoor antenna all pointed back to the moment the upstairs booster was plugged into AC.

Regarding DinH’s suggestions about the VoLTE, no other adjustments were made to the phone settings or the account settings.

To be clear, once the cheapo booster was removed from upstairs, calls were possible from the office with the WiIson booster turned on downstairs. Without it, there is insufficient signal for calls, text, or data.

One last word on boosters. If anyone is considering going on a web site like ‘Wish’ to order one of the many cheap boosters or antennas offered at much lower prices, save your money. They are junk. In my case the device worked to some small extent for about a year before it created a problem. In retrospect, I can’t imagine the frustration the Telco Carriers go through trying to deal with the interference these devices cause. Frankly, I think they should be banned and I’m surprised they are allowed to be shipped into the country. I am ashamed to admit that I fell prey to this crap and contributed to the problem. 

Furthermore, with an open mind I tried a few purchases on China based web sites offering similar electronics to save significant amounts, but I have learned my lesson. I now have absolutely nothing good to say about the China based web sites, like ‘Wish’ that pedal useless junk destine for the landfill to unwitting Canadian consumers. My experience with the ‘Wish’ web site has left me downright bitter. On one occasion I informed them of a 'dead on arrival’ device. They dragged it out until the credit card company would not accept a charge back challenge.  So, be aware.

Thanks to all.

Im not a fan of Wish.  I personally use AliExpress and had a few returns and was refunded without issue.  Also I find AliExpress is cheaper than Wish though their delivery time may be longer

Userlevel 1

I have also had issues with AliExpress and many of the products are the same….and much of it is absolute junk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have also had issues with AliExpress and many of the products are the same….and much of it is absolute junk.

Well you get what you pay for.  Im just referring to the return process