Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can't use my phone in Northern Montana

I am travelling through Montana, US and when I try to call someone my phone displays " Not Registered on Network". It is the middle of winter and I purchased the $40 roaming package but cannot use my phone. The only communication I have is via Wifi at my hotel room. I wish Koodo had Live Chat so I could talk to them now when I need it.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Have you tried rebooting the phone? Or check to make sure your network is selected Automatic Note: Im also gonna change the category of this post to a question
Thank you Dennis, Yes I have removed the battery and the SIM card and put them back. The phone was working fine up until I approached northern Montana. This area is covered by Verizon. The network is called Sagebrush.In the last 3 days I have traveled across Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota with no cellular problems. Automatic is selected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ian Scott wrote:

Thank you Dennis, Yes I have removed the battery and the SIM card and put them back. The phone w...

Try to manually select Sagebrush or Verizon
Ian Scott wrote:

Thank you Dennis, Yes I have removed the battery and the SIM card and put them back. The phone w...

I have tried this several times. I just get "Your SIM card does not allow a connection to this network". Sagebrush is the only option. Verizon doesn't show up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ian Scott wrote:

I dont see Sagebrush on Koodo's list. http://help.koodomobile.com/coverage-long-distance-and-travelling/travelling Also did you make sure your phone's mode accepts 2G/GSM/3G/HSPA/WCDMA
Ian Scott wrote:

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3. The network mode only lists LTE/WCDMA/GSM
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Ian Scott wrote:

Then my only guess is that there is no network coverage out there except for Sagebrush and Koodo does not have a roaming agreement with them. Which means you might be out of luck. Do locals have AT&T or Verizon connections?
Ian Scott wrote:

I used the motel manager's cellphone to make a call and it is Verizon. I read that Sagebrush has an agreement with Verizon. Thanks for all your help. I will drive the next 5 hours to Lethbridge Alberta with the use of my phone. Once back in Canada I will be calling Koodo regarding this. Thanks again.
Ian Scott wrote:

I meant; without the use of my phone.
Userlevel 7
Ian Scott wrote:

Dennis, After travelling west from Malta, Montana about 30 miles, my phone started to work again as your AT&T coverage map shows. Thanks again for your help!
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Northern Montana, northern Idaho, and Yellowstone can be a problem for roaming, as Koodo may not have a contract with those local carriers. Folks using a Roam Mobility SIM run into the same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
We traveled through Montana last summer, and in most places there simply is no coverage at all. I used a T-Mobile prepaid SIM and the only place in which I could roam on AT&T (voice & text only, no data) was Missoula. Montana has not quite been added to the 21st map yet I'm afraid 😃