Koodo Community

Community

Solved

Can I port a number from a Koodo account to a new Koodo account?

I currently have a phone with Koodo under someone else's name. I want to buy a new phone on a new account under my own name, but keep my Koodo number. Guess the question is, can I port a Koodo number to a new Koodo account? And if yes, does this count as a new activation if I get a new phone at the same time? Thanks! Guy

6 replies

Userlevel 7
You can't inter-port except for going from prepaid to postpaid and visversa. In order to keep your number, you'd have to port it to either Koodo prepaid or another prepaid service and then port it back when you activate your new line. It's gonna cost you a little more this way but it's the only way in your situation.
I don't understand the logic in what Ahmad suggested. You need to do a Transfer of Ownership. It will cost you $25. Call Koodo to learn more about it or search on the interwebz.
Userlevel 4
Hello wrote:

I don't understand the logic in what Ahmad suggested. You need to do a Transfer of Ownership. It ...

How is that a transfer of ownership? Let's say my number is with your account. I want to leave your account and be on my own and keep my number. If you were cancelling or leaving then yes, that would be a transfer of ownership. Since that's not the case, Ahamad's suggestion is the best solution
Hello wrote:

I don't understand the logic in what Ahmad suggested. You need to do a Transfer of Ownership. It ...

It's the same thing on all carriers, so don't say that's not Koodo: http://www.telus.com/en/ab/get-help/account-and-billing/register-and-manage-your-account/transfer-of-account-ownership/support.do
Userlevel 6
Hi Guy, you could indeed transfer your phone number on a new account that would be under your name. It's a transfer of ownership but not a "port" of number. A $25 is applicable. The current owner will need to contact us over the phone first to initiate the transfer. This is not considered a new activation though 😉 Thank you! ________________________ If you see a good answer, give it a star.
Thanks for the info! If I was to do as Ahmad said and go to prepaid, then go back to the tab, or to let's say Telus pre-paid (since I still have my old Telus pre-paid phone)... What would my cost potentially be? I know I'd need to buy a sim card to go prepaid, but do I then need to buy another sim card to come back? Also, would I need to buy any pre-paid minutes? Then, would there be any admin costs? Also, how much time do I need to allow between swaps? Can I switch to prepaid, then switch back right away? Won't that raise any flags? Wouldn't Koodo wonder what was going on? Guy